Whitney Houston

Dead at 48

2/11/2012 10:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0212_whitney_houston_gurney_EXWhitney Houston died this afternoon ... a rep for the singer announced. She was 48.

Our sources tell us a member of Whitney's entourage found her in her 4th-floor room at the Beverly Hilton hotel ... and called hotel security -- who then dialed 911. When paramedics arrived Houston was found unresponsive.

We're told police arrived to the scene within minutes and fire was already there on an unrelated call. According to our sources, paramedics performed CPR but it did not work and she was pronounced dead at 3:55 PM.

Our sources say there were no obvious signs of foul play, but BH PD detectives have begun a full investigation. We're told she was ID'ed by family and friends.

L.A. County Coroner Ed Winter told our photog at 7:09 PM that it is too early in the investigation to tell what happened (see below).

video platform video management video solutions video player
0211_ed_winter_video
The singer famously battled drug addiction for years (see related links below).

Houston was seen out in Hollywood Thursday night for a Grammy party ... and she did not look well (below). She even briefly took the mic and performed a song while she was there -- what would become her last performance. See the video here.

0211_whitney_gsiHouston won two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards during her record-breaking career. Her album "Whitney" was the first female album to ever debut at #1 on the Billboard Charts. She has sold 200 million albums worldwide.

Houston had one child, Bobbi Kristina, with husband Bobby Brown. Houston and Brown were married from 1992-2007.

0211_rememebring_whitneyupdate_bar
Sources tell TMZ, Whitney Houston "partied heavily" last night at the Beverly HIlton hotel where she was staying, drinking and chatting loudly with friends in the bar -- but Cissy Houston and Dionne Warwick claim the singer sounded fine just hours before her death.

We're told Bobby Brown is distraught over Whitney's death -- going "in and out of crying fits." His band New Edition tells us, they are "shocked and saddened."

Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party -- which Whitney was supposed to open -- is going on as scheduled this evening, though Clive will not be in attendance.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, police are currently seeking a search warrant to investigate the hotel room where Whitney was found dead. One item they'll be looking out for -- drugs.

nita

Who killed her! This shish is crazy.

Cholly

This is someone I looked up too my heart is hurt. I loved her so much I pray for her family she was. I looked up too.

andyscandy

I hope you find your own heaven..you have suffered...and you will be missed and loved.

Woot

How very sad.... very, very sad. Sorry you couldn't find the help you needed, you poor, troubled soul. I will miss your gorgeous voice. Rest in peace.

dd

I'm speechless...May God hold you in his arms.

She's baaaack

I'm sure we'll all hear about **Prescription Drugs** So, if I have 100 Vicodin and take 85 of them, it's ok because it was prescribed? No matter on what, whether prescribed or street drugs, no matter if intentional or accidental an OD is an OD. It's still a shame though. She fought quite a battle.

no1uno

Jack Nicholson Says He 'Warned' Whitney Houston

The 70-year-old Oscar winner was dining at the Wolseley restaurant in London when a photographer told him about Houston's death.

After saying, "That's awful," Jack added “I warned her," and refused to elaborate.

noel

people are so damn cynical and nasty. These comments show how disgusting our sociey has become. You'll be going where she is one day. Behave yourselves, karma is coming.

Barbara Mangione

Very, very sad. Yet another extremely talented performer taken too soon. I hate to say it but it was probably drug related. RIP. It is so awful to see these people surrounded by sycophants who do nothing to help them and everything to enable them just to stay in their employment and good graces.

lacey kendall

Crack is Whack.

typeA

So... Sad!! The best female voice ever discovered!! RIP Whitney... I love you!! Prayers go out to her family!!

Norig

Bellaca

WTF is going on????????????

SB

A true DIVA! A great loss! No words could express my sorrow! R.I.P. Gone too soon...

Merrilynne

I'm on facebook and it seems that everyone has something negative to say about Whitney. Here's the deal guys.....Don't judge. You have no right to judge. I live in Dallas and to tell you the truth, many stars come here because it is friendly and for the most part gossip free. You don't know Whitney, you didn't live her life and nobody can say whether or not you could have walked in her footsteps at all let alone deal with everything she had coming at her. I hope you all lighten up and pray for her family.