Whitney Houston

Dead at 48

2/11/2012 10:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0212_whitney_houston_gurney_EXWhitney Houston died this afternoon ... a rep for the singer announced. She was 48.

Our sources tell us a member of Whitney's entourage found her in her 4th-floor room at the Beverly Hilton hotel ... and called hotel security -- who then dialed 911. When paramedics arrived Houston was found unresponsive.

We're told police arrived to the scene within minutes and fire was already there on an unrelated call. According to our sources, paramedics performed CPR but it did not work and she was pronounced dead at 3:55 PM.

Our sources say there were no obvious signs of foul play, but BH PD detectives have begun a full investigation. We're told she was ID'ed by family and friends.

L.A. County Coroner Ed Winter told our photog at 7:09 PM that it is too early in the investigation to tell what happened (see below).

video platform video management video solutions video player
0211_ed_winter_video
The singer famously battled drug addiction for years (see related links below).

Houston was seen out in Hollywood Thursday night for a Grammy party ... and she did not look well (below). She even briefly took the mic and performed a song while she was there -- what would become her last performance. See the video here.

0211_whitney_gsiHouston won two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards during her record-breaking career. Her album "Whitney" was the first female album to ever debut at #1 on the Billboard Charts. She has sold 200 million albums worldwide.

Houston had one child, Bobbi Kristina, with husband Bobby Brown. Houston and Brown were married from 1992-2007.

0211_rememebring_whitneyupdate_bar
Sources tell TMZ, Whitney Houston "partied heavily" last night at the Beverly HIlton hotel where she was staying, drinking and chatting loudly with friends in the bar -- but Cissy Houston and Dionne Warwick claim the singer sounded fine just hours before her death.

We're told Bobby Brown is distraught over Whitney's death -- going "in and out of crying fits." His band New Edition tells us, they are "shocked and saddened."

Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party -- which Whitney was supposed to open -- is going on as scheduled this evening, though Clive will not be in attendance.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, police are currently seeking a search warrant to investigate the hotel room where Whitney was found dead. One item they'll be looking out for -- drugs.

BillPalmer

Very Tragic. A great talent and a great smile. Whitney Houston will be missed.

Ernie

It's sad that this happens. I am sure that her crack use shortened her life. And in the picture. She looks like hell. Like she just had a hit!!! When do these, So called Stars, stop thinking that they are above anyone else. Do they ever look at the headlines. And how many Famous people die of drugs and crap. They should have followed Cypress Hill and Snoops drug. WEED!!! It don't kill you!!!!

Tiffaney Hampton

Whitney, you were "Waiting to Exhale" and trying to figure out "Why Does It Hurt So Bad". In spite of it all, you really wanted that "One Moment in Time" where somebody could say "Count on Me" and really mean it. So...in your process of "Getting to Happy", you turned to God and said "I Look to You" and He replied "I Will Always Love You". Now, you are experiencing "The Greatest Love of All". You can finally close your eyes and exhale may you Rest in Peace!!!!

Tiffaney Hampton

Truthines

Paging Dr. Murray, Dr. Conrad Murray.... Has anyone checked his cell lately?

tameka

I LOVE HER SHE WAS MY BIG FAN ALTHOUGH SHE WAS DRUG ADDICTED I WAS PRAYING FOR HER R.I.P MY BIG FAN............I HOPE A LOT OF CHILDREN IS TAKEN THIS ONE TO HEART.....ALL THE GOOD CELEBRITIES ARE DIEING OUT.....

Lawri

Poor Whitney! God rest her soul! I'm so happy to hear that her last song was to Glorify Jesus! I can't wait to see her in Heaven! I hope and pray that all who mourn for her will be comforted in the arms of the Lord!

romanisking

These nasty white people had nothing but nice things to say when druggy nick Carter sister died but when a black superstar dies , they turn super racist and I find it interesting. So I celebrate when one of theirs die

ERNANDO SANTOS

O BRASIL LAMENTA A MORTE DE UMA DAS MELHORES CANTORA POP DO MUNDO.MESMO ELA NÃO ESTANDO MAIS VIVA EU CONTINUO SENDO FAM DELA, ELA TINHA A VOZ INCRIVEL.

ERNANDO SANTOS

faith f

1st off its not going to help anything by calling her a crackhead it just makes you look dum cuz from wat we know it is unidentified of wat really killed her trust me your going to here fake stories before the real one so make her daughter feel a little comforted by our support then hateful words

G. Carter

Re: Whitney Houston

As like with my comments about the demise of the late Michael Jackson, I will again make the suggestion that an 'independent autopsy' is needed to find out exactly what cause Whitney to meet such a sudden and untimely demise in a 'hotel room' ( and I will place the emphasis here on hotel room).

jenel

R.I.P.

charbel ch

we will always love you , i will always remember you, my birthday my valentine were alive only by ur voice.

Edson

o mundo perdeu umas das mais bonitas vozes do mundo.
gostava muito desta cantara, a qui no Brasil todos estamos sentindo muito, força para a sua familia.

Previous 15 Comments | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments