Whitney Houston

Dead at 48

2/11/2012 10:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0212_whitney_houston_gurney_EXWhitney Houston died this afternoon ... a rep for the singer announced. She was 48.

Our sources tell us a member of Whitney's entourage found her in her 4th-floor room at the Beverly Hilton hotel ... and called hotel security -- who then dialed 911. When paramedics arrived Houston was found unresponsive.

We're told police arrived to the scene within minutes and fire was already there on an unrelated call. According to our sources, paramedics performed CPR but it did not work and she was pronounced dead at 3:55 PM.

Our sources say there were no obvious signs of foul play, but BH PD detectives have begun a full investigation. We're told she was ID'ed by family and friends.

L.A. County Coroner Ed Winter told our photog at 7:09 PM that it is too early in the investigation to tell what happened (see below).

video platform video management video solutions video player
0211_ed_winter_video
The singer famously battled drug addiction for years (see related links below).

Houston was seen out in Hollywood Thursday night for a Grammy party ... and she did not look well (below). She even briefly took the mic and performed a song while she was there -- what would become her last performance. See the video here.

0211_whitney_gsiHouston won two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards during her record-breaking career. Her album "Whitney" was the first female album to ever debut at #1 on the Billboard Charts. She has sold 200 million albums worldwide.

Houston had one child, Bobbi Kristina, with husband Bobby Brown. Houston and Brown were married from 1992-2007.

0211_rememebring_whitneyupdate_bar
Sources tell TMZ, Whitney Houston "partied heavily" last night at the Beverly HIlton hotel where she was staying, drinking and chatting loudly with friends in the bar -- but Cissy Houston and Dionne Warwick claim the singer sounded fine just hours before her death.

We're told Bobby Brown is distraught over Whitney's death -- going "in and out of crying fits." His band New Edition tells us, they are "shocked and saddened."

Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party -- which Whitney was supposed to open -- is going on as scheduled this evening, though Clive will not be in attendance.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, police are currently seeking a search warrant to investigate the hotel room where Whitney was found dead. One item they'll be looking out for -- drugs.

roland wagner

eine erloesung fuer sie,besser tod,als taeglicher drogenkampf

Bonnie Shroyer

RIP Whitney! Now you will the peace that you so rightfully deserved.
You will be missed for years to come! My prayers go out to Bobbi Kristina, Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin, Sissy Huston, and any other family members . God Bless You!!!!

PJ Johnson

My heart goes out to the Houston and Brown famalies. We will miss you Whitney! Papa Brown,we will miss you too!

CinRene

It is so sad, what a loss...

taylor

R.I.P. WHITNEY HOUSTON & I LOVE YOU

angie

Some of you so called humans need help your damn self...she did NOT die from cocaine, to the fool who said that....addiction is one helluva bitch to kick, especially prescription drugs.....so how bout having a little respect here...ive lost waaaay too many friends from overdosing,i woke up with my fiance in bed right beside me, DEAD!!!

cristiano

Aqui do BRAZIL...Que pena mais uma voz que se cala tragicamente,nossos pezames,descanse em peace...

Jenny

The autopsy is so sad! http://www.snapsig.com/viewer?file=rMvyvvdRKtJjbBGSN4nT.jpg

tooshy20

9 days ago people were calling her a crackhead,now the same people are claiming she was their favorite singer and true Legend.Hypocritical don't you think!!!!

Laura

Whitney's voice was like an angel. I will miss her and her true beauty will live as well as her voice...Prayers are with the Houston family.

deliciousdee45

i was so sad when i heard whitney houston pass it broke my heart no matter what she went through in her life she was a beautiful person and she had a beautiful and wonderful voice i will away love her and gone to soon she was bless with a wonderful voice she will be miss forever and ever whitney at peace now she free now i love you whitney RIP my friend

Paulette

Music has a way of connecting people specially when it touch
the heart.That what Whitney did for many.To her mother lean on God he will carry you when you feel like letting go.This is what I did loosing my only son.God is able and he cares.

susana malnati

WHY SUCH A TALENTED, GIFTED PERSON HAS TO GIVE UP HER LIFE TO DRUG ABUSE? HER DEAD IS SUCH A GREAT LOST FOR THE ARTISTIC MUSICAL WORLD? I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT NOBODY OF HER CLOSE FRIENDS NEVER HAD ENOUGH POWER TO SEPARATE HER FROM THE SENSELESS LIFE OF DRUG ABUSE!!!!

Tony Pierce

I will say something and it goes like this - she was as beautiful in life as she was on screen. When we did the read through of the script for "The Bodyguard" she was so very nervous about me she asked Kevin if she could sit at the other end of the table....of course I could not blame her because I was in a very bad place as the stalker. One day we were out on the tarmac when they were shooting the scene where she kisses Kevin and she said to me, "if you scare me too much I will hit you and knock you out." I then said "if you do you will be picking yourself up off of the asphalt". We then both laughed so hard and it was then I realized what a sweetheart she was. One last thing.....while on the tarmac Whitney sang the song "Jesus Loves Me", as I drove home that night I wept so hard because I had never ever heard anyone sing it like she did.......I will truly miss her
Tony "Dan" Pierce

monica

we luv you whitney u were the best singer that ever lived.your song came on the radio today i cryed.

Previous 15 Comments | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments