Whitney Houston

Taking Xanax

2/12/2012 7:04 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The body of Whitney Houston being removed from the Beverly Hills Hilton in an ambulance.
Whitney Houston was taking Xanax ... evidence she may have fallen asleep in the bathtub where she died ... TMZ has learned.

Family members of Whitney tell us the singer had a prescription for the drug, which is commonly used to treat anxiety and depression.

We told you yesterday ... the night before Whitney died, she had been drinking a lot. Xanax mixed with alcohol can cause severe sedation, which could cause someone to fall asleep in a bathtub.

As TMZ first reported, Whitney was found in the bathtub and removed before EMTs arrived.  The L.A. County Coroner will perform an autopsy -- possibly today -- to determine if Whitney died from drowning, and OD or other causes.

As we previously reported, Beverly Hills cops obtained a search warrant and found various prescription bottles -- but, as far as we know, no illicit drugs.

iHaveCommonsense

You CANNOT drink ANY alcohol while on prescription medications, especially Xanax. I was prescribed the med for anxiety at one time and tried to have a sip of New Years eggnog with just a cap-full of rum thinking it couldn't possibly hurt. I was out cold not 10 minutes later and I do not remember a thing. It can happen that fast. When they put the warning on the bottle, they mean it. You will die of you do not take meds as prescribed!

taylor

My thoughts and prayers go out to Whitney's family. May God be with you and may Whitney R.I.P.

I also want to mentioned that, after all the speculation about her demise, that THERE IS NO WAY THAT SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT DRINKING AT ALL. When you are addicted to alcohol and drugs, neither one should be consumed at anytime, if you are truly recovering. So, I am surprise that she was out drinking when she has had problems for so many years. I don't want to blame others, but her entourage should have called her out on it. Anyway, I grew up with her music and she was extremely talented and will be missed. Again, may she R.I.P!

Jim Jones

Heavy crack use followed by a few Xanax = "DIRT NAP", her drug of choice was crack and I am pretty sure her family would have gotten rid of that evidence.

iHaveCommonsense

Let me add to my comment to bring the point home: I'm 3x larger than Whitney Houston ans a few drops of rum took me down!

Kimberley

Screw Whitney Houston and all the other drug infected celebrities who die bc of their addictions. People cry and cry over these people who made the choice to mess their lives up but yet we don't shed one tear for the men and women who have fought, are fighting, or gave their lives fighting for OUR right to grieve over some sh*t like this. Get over it!! Now we're gonna be hearing how great she was and all the great things she did when in reality she became a druggie...like someone you'd probably turn your nose up on the street, but bc its Whitney and she was a celebrity we have to mourn over the loss. WHATEVER!! She did this to her self. Whether you you agree with the war or not show them support they deserve not some druggie who f*cked up her life.

stargazer

You probably should have also mentioned that Xanax is one of the most commonly abused prescription drugs on the market, especially by people who have addiction issues. It's something that should never be prescribed to someone who is/was and addict. It's also not uncommon for people who are abusing it to take it with alcohol because they love the high the two combined things give them.

Von

Whitney had an opportunity to lead young black female, instead she wasted what God gave her.

Shanell

Whitney Houston will definitely be missed. She is such an Icon to us. Her music will live on in our lives forever. This is such a tragedy. Unfortunately her time on this earth has ended. I am definitely sad and I am still in shock. I pray for her mom and daughter right now. A mother lost her daughter and a daughter lost her mom. RIP Whitney!!! Gonna love you forever

Lisa

Nothing good comes from drugs .. drugs are EVIL thing to get addicted to . It ruins so many lives . Famous or Not Famous doesn't matter . It will KILL you in the END and Leave so many broken hearts and misery . If your drug addicted get HELP . We want you to get help but the real question is " Do You Want The Help " ? If so , seek it .
R.I.P. to all the ones gone from this addiction .

me

We get it! TMZ was first to report...because you pay your sources so well.

emt_warrior

Um let's see a she would've been gone already if it was drinking and xanax because mixing medication with alcohol can cause respiratory problems and possible cardiac arrest instantly. as an emt, i should know.
get your facts straight.

WellSinceYouDidntAsk

Side effects from Xanax---Drugs.com

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); behavior changes; blurred vision; burning, numbness, or tingling; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; decreased coordination; decreased urination; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; loss of balance or muscle control; memory or attention problems; menstrual changes; muscle twitching; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, depression, irritability, anxiety; exaggerated feeling of wellbeing); overstimulation; red, swollen blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, or light-headedness; shortness of breath or trouble breathing; suicidal thoughts or actions; tremor; trouble speaking; yellowing of the eyes or skin.

Because it's not ok if you die from unsafe, deadly legal drugs.

Sarah

Another dumb ass comment by a real jerk. From another dumb ass man.......can you mind your business or have some respect celebrities are people to with the same problems as the rest of society.So shut up and have respect for her family, and friends.

rip whitney

Very sad

wanda

We"re not in this world to judge we have today /RIP whitney