Whitney Houston -- Family Told

She Died from Rx

NOT Drowning

2/13/2012 6:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Whitney Houston did not die from drowning, but rather from what appears to be a combination of Xanax and other prescription drugs.
Whitney Houston's family was told by L.A. County Coroner officials ... the singer did not die from drowning, but rather from what appears to be a combination of Xanax and other prescription drugs mixed with alcohol ... this according to family sources.

We're told Coroner's officials informed the family there was not enough water in Whitney's lungs to lead to the conclusion that she drowned.

Our sources say the family was told Whitney may well have died before her head became submerged.

And family sources tell us ... it was actually Whitney's aunt, Mary Jones, who discovered Whitney's body in the bathtub. Mary had laid out Whitney's dress for the evening on the bed and then left for about a half hour. When Whitney didn't come out of the bathroom, Mary entered, pulled Whitney out of the tub and began administering CPR.

And we're told ... Whitney's mom has arranged to have the singer's body flown back to Atlanta, as early as tomorrow. The family was told the Coroner has no problem releasing the body because there is no evidence of foul play --  and unless cops put a hold on the body, it can be flown back East.

0211_rememebring_whitney

grouston

Whitney had her struggles with addiction, she mixed a very lethal ****tail, it killed her, so be it. She will be missed but her anointed songs, voice will live on, she did a great deal of good while here on earth and I know she is singing in Hevenn.

Mark

To bad Ray J didn't die in that room with her!

Sydney

So very, very sad. This TMZ story conflicts with all other printed accounts of the persons present during her final hours. I can comprehend an aunt or assistant(whatever) laying out her clothes and then leaving the room while she bathed, thinking she would be in her clothes when she (aunt or assistant) returned. I cannot image a number of people being in Whitney's room and allowing Whitney to be silent in the bathroom for an hour before doing something. Also, Xanax is a good FDA approved drug for anxiety that should be taken as prescribed by the doctor and taken with water and not on an empty stomach. I believe the labeling warns against use with alcohol. I think sometimes people believe that just taking the medication with a liquid is fine. Alcohol is not water.

Jayden

I hope I am wrong because I have always loved Whitney no matter what her demons were, but this is feeling more and more like suicide. She was always surrounded by her people and this happens as soon as she gets a moment alone. She had been partying two days straight and I am sure taking xanax and whatever else and this never happened, but I do not think she would have been drinking while bathing. Sounds like she had her moment alone without anyone to stop her, and she took advantage of it. While the grammy buzz was going on, it probably hit her that her time is over and she will never be that superstar again and that has to be pretty depressing for someone who wasted so many years she could have had success on drugs. No matter what the outcome, I loved Whitney, still do, and I wish her the peace she did not find on Earth. She will always be my favorite performer and my Whitney. I will always love you.

Somerville

The point is, despite numerous rehab stints and interventions, no one could help Houston unless she wanted to get help.

The irony is that Bobby Brown has been clean and sober for six years.

Mike

Another victim of pharmaceutical drug industry!

Whitney Houston is just one of countless Americans who are victims of Big Pharma, an industry that cares far more about corporate profits than it does about the lives of real people. And today, we have lost yet another iconic American artist whose life was cut short by addiction, prescription drugs and the entire “medication culture” that exists in America today.

Whitney Houston will be missed. May her death serve as an urgent call for ending the scourge of mind-altering psychotropic drugs and ending the failed “War on Drugs” that tries to criminalize drug addicts rather than helping them heal.

swack

I thought it took 4 - 6 weeks to get toxicology reports back. And I'm sorry that some "family member" put out this information . . . it is not their job to do and we really should wait until someone official puts out her cause of death.

whocares

whos to blame, its the family and friends, friends for buying her drugs and family for not doing anything about it

sharon smith

imagine that! she died from drugs...when 1st announced she died, was thinkn maybe her heart went out

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

Listen folks, I'm a man with MS, I freaking hurt so much I take methadone and Dilaudid for pain and you do NOT want to take these drugs "to get high". They don't work, they just zone you out just like Heroin and who WANTS TO feel that way? I sure don't. That's why they call Oxycontin Hillbilly Heroin. I freaking hate this crap and If I could stand a minute without the phantom pain of being paralyzed on left side waist down, it hurts to keep walking like you wouldn't believe I'd quit in a second. I try every 3 months and it's too painful :( But, in my young days I was a musician and coke fiend in my 20's and man, you just don't know what people are selling you anymore. You push that crap up your nose, who knows wtf it is with these lowlife dealers today? Unless you test it or freebase it you never know. But THEN once you chase the dragon you're flucked. No one does these drugs and doesn't LIKE THEM. So you just have to say NO. HAVE TO, for everything they help you have 5 repercussions that weren't planned on or intended, just like Pharmaceutical drugs. Take em for pain, you got 20 other things that are damaged by the pain med!! At what point are you not gaining anything anymore> And xanax with a bottle of booze will kill any seasoned junkie. That stuff is poison. Add Valium to come dowm from the crack, then other crack hit...heart freaks and it's goodnight sister. There's no crack ho success stories folks :( R I P Whitney and don't be the next one ;(

Jakki Van Boom

Being a junkie is a choice. She's the worst kind of junkie because unlike many people that want to deal with their demons she had the money and the means to get better but she chose not to. Not even for her daughter...pretty pathetic. What example did she set for her? Oh your mom's a strung out drug addict...sorry. Total waste of talent.

Oh and Brown might be a dirt bag but he didn't force her to snort those pounds of coke, smoke the rock or pop the pills. She chose to do it and to stay with a loser that smacked her around.

bill norris

I was not aware that there has been a corrornors report so soon. Duckey and Abby are not on this case.

THE BEAVER

To whom ever gave Whitney her first taste of Cocaine or other drugs can live with yourself now that she has died. You may not have actually killed her, but you lead her down the wrong road that killed her, so all in all it is like you did, because you gave it to her to start with.

DennisJustice

So basically she either killed herself or she showed incredibly bad judgment.

DennisJustice

So she either killed herself or she showed reckless concern for life.