Celine Dion

Drugs Killed Whitney Houston

2/13/2012 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0213_the_interview_launch
Celine Dion isn't waiting for the coroner to give an official cause of death for Whitney Houston because she apparently knows what killed her ... drugs.

Speaking to "Good Morning America" today via phone, Dion wasted no time pinning Houston's untimely passing on drug abuse. She told Robin Roberts, "Whitney has been an amazing inspiration for me ... It's just really unfortunate that drugs, bad people or bad influence took over. It took over her dreams. It took over her love and motherhood."

Dion immediately linked Houston's death with other famous people who died from drugs. She went on to say, "When you think about Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse, to get into drugs like that, for whatever reason. Is it because of the stress and bad influence? What happens when you have everything?"

A cause of death has not yet been determined, but sources close to Houston's family tell TMZ the coroner has told them she died from Xanax and other prescription drugs mixed with alcohol.

Vee

It's easy to make judgements. I saw the interview and my opinion is Celine should have spoken to how Whitney carved an avenue for her and other singers that came AFTER Whitney. Don't make judgements if you have never walked in that person's shoes. Whitney has a daughter that can not (at this moment)deal with her mother's death. Think about her (Bobbie Kristina) before you make comments that you have no proof on and could cause more damage then good. Whitney may you rest in Our Heavenly Father's Arms!!

alana

Celine is right! And, you, TMZ are hypocritical. You confirmed BEFORE Celine's comments that she died of drugs. Not only that, but common sense tells you after reading about the days leading up to Whitney's death that drugs were in some way related. Celine is speaking the truth. You can still respect, love, and be very sadden by her death while speaking out against her drug use.

gloria

THIS GOES FOR ANYTHING AND ANYBODY: THERE'S SOME GOOD IN
EVERYONE SO IF YOU CAN'T SEEM TO FIND SOMETHING GOOD TO SAY
ABOUT A PERSON CLOSE YOUR MOUTH~! WHITNEY HOUSTON WAS A GREAT SINGER WITH A HEART AND REMEMBER SHE LEFT A CHILD AND FAMILY BEHIND WHO WILL READ ALL OF YOUR HURTING COMMENTS!!!!

Cee

In my opinion, a lot of people (including Celine) are missing the point. Yes, the drugs obviously were a key influence in her death (you do a lot of drugs over a long period of time and it takes it toll)...BUT, the drugs were only a SYMPTOM of something else that ultimately killed her. Whether it was emotional, psychological, biological, or socially induced (i.e., the pressures of Hollywood, fame, her own inner demons/childhood, racism, sexism, insecurity, etc). Bottom line, life can be hard for all of us. The majority of us can cope obviously better than she could (thank goodness), but that doesn't take away the fact that WE ARE ALL SUSCEPTIBLE to such hardship. We all have our demons and none of us walked in her shoes.

MsRickie

Just last week TMZ was making jokes about Ray J buckling his grandma in the car! When she first died I said it was probably an overdose, but I am not a medical examiner.
No matter how she died, Whitney Houston was a icon. She had a heavenly voice. I'm sorry that she dealt with demons, but EVERYONE of us has or will have our own crosses to bear. They may not be as severe as substance abuse. Maybe it's gambling, self esteem issues, poor body image, glutony, infidelity, etc. We all have something in our lives that we could or have changed. People (including Celine Dion) need to STFu and stop judging. No one is perfect. We all fall short sometimes. Whitney Houston even said in her infamous Diane Sawyer interview that she was her worse demon and she made choices based on what she wanted. I know people blame Bobby Brown or enablers for not getting her help or introducing her to drugs, but she was a grown damn woman. I loved Whitney, for the majority of my life. She was my all-time favorite artist, period. So perhaps you need to stop judging her and improve your own imperfections!

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

When exactly did she say "drugs killed Whitney"? It's "make a mountain out of a mole hill" time again. TMZ, you're the ones who reported as if the cause of her death has been determined conclusively already. You're the ones who posted an article that insinuates Whitney was "doctor shopping". Your hypocrisy is so preposterous, it's nauseating!

Lil

I cant believe what she said. Sure its true but who is she to put her death in such a derogatory manner. She needs to seriously STFU. Ugly bitch screams and calls that singing.
Just cause she married grampa and was lucky enough to handle it she is nobody to be passing judjement!

Nada

Celine needs to worry about who her husband mistress is, instead of commenting on something she knows nothing about

cea

Amen!! Celine is right ya know. She has a point.

Jenbcookn

I think a lot of people are under the misconception that having "everything" means having "things". As we all know I'm sure having a nice bank account to be able to enjoy and enhance our lives with things we like to do is pretty normal, but our hearts and soul yearn for something deeper. There is usually an emotional or spiritual void that isn't filled and people try to substitute that with drugs, money or other tangible things. It's unfortunate. I am a single mom of 5, run a succesful business, not a millionaire, I'm ok, and I feel like I have everything so I guess it's just a matter of opinion on what's important to you.

Lola

Why are people so quick to talk about "bad influences?" Whitney Houston looks like a tough cookie to me. I don't think she did anything she didn't want to do. Maybe Whitney and people like her ARE the bad influences. Think of her daughter. First thing she does on hearing the bad news that mummy has died probably from an overdose, proceeds to take pills herself and winds up in the hospital twice in one day.

What I don't understand is how people ignore the fact that they have responsibilities to other people, their families, parents, children, and others. Life is tenuous enough without engaging in risky behaviors that will kill us and leave our families, our children, alone in the world.

RAINEY

People chose their own destiny. Whitney made obvious bad choices...Having talent doesn't dismiss that. While the toxicology reports haven't come in yet, it doesn't take a rocket scientist - or doctor - to figure this one out. I mean numerous reports are she was acting weird and doing summersaults by the pool....Hello??? A mature, together class act doesn't behave this way, that's a fact. What a waste.

KAREN Christopher

I think Celine called it like she sees it - just like so many of us do. If it wasn't drugs it was probably a result of her drug use history. Andy Gibb was clean when he died too but his heart had been weakened. I think her voice had been irreparably damaged from her admitted smoking of crack - she had an amazing gift and threw it away. At least she has songs that will live on. It's unfortunate that she died so young but her voice was killed years ago

john

TMZ you missed the REAL STORY about the Celine interview. She couldn't help tell us repeatedly how she didn't do that Hollywood stuff and never got caught up in it. Way to make the story about you!! Please go back to canada with your creepy grandpa you call your husband and never come back to the USA!! All French speaking Non-Americans suck like Celine's music.

NewMoon360

Nobody knows what killed Whitney, and to speculate regardless of the reason is judgmental and presumptuous especially so early. As another entertainer, no human being at this time, the reason is not important, we have a mother, daughter, ex and so so many others left to grieve, is it really so important to focus on the negative, if we are going to let words come out of our mouths, let it be prayer, encouragement, stand in the gap and cover them all, it's hard especially in the public eye, and Celine should know that, I'm disappointed and I don't respect what she said regardless of truth whatever....We all can do better...