Mel Gibson Arresting Officer

Bangs Out Settlement

in Jewish Discrimination Suit

2/14/2012 10:23 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0213_james_mee_mel_gibson_bn
The L.A. Sheriff's Dept. deputy who arrested Mel Gibson during the famous drunken Malibu tirade has struck a settlement deal in his discrimination lawsuit with L.A. County.

James Mee had sued the County ... claiming he felt he was unfairly punished and overlooked for promotions because the County allegedly targeted him as the person who leaked Mel Gibson's DUI arrest documents to TMZ in 2006.

But that claim had previously been thrown out by the judge, so Mee's only remaining claim was that he was discriminated against because he is Jewish.

Now, Mee and the County have reached a settlement in the discrimination case ... forever ending the saga between Mee and the County. The terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

update_bar
11:23 AM PST -- Mee's legal team tells us ... the settlement is not final yet ... and is still pending approval of the County Claims Board

Still, Mee's attorney, Etan Z. Lorant, tells TMZ ... "Deputy Mee did not file his lawsuit for money. He filed his lawsuit for the principle of what had happened to him.  He strongly believes in his case."

Lorant's co-counsel, Yael Trock, adds, "Deputy Mee loved and still loves being a Sheriff's deputy. All he wants is to put this employment dispute behind him and go back to his work to protect the public.

Trock adds, "He just wanted everyone to be treated equally and fairly. That was very important to him and he was willing to stand up for it."

Angie2Angie

I agere with "REALIST"...

I hope we never have to hear about this Loser Mel, ever again, after this.

He needs to go away...stop being around women (since we all know that he HATES all females) and he needs to retire for good...

...Mel grosses me out!

realist

The LA Times is reporting the same amount $50,000. After the attorneys' cut, Mee should end up with enough to buy a nice used car.

Like I said - - nuisance value.

Cujeaux

Realist why try to pretend you don't know every detail about this case? Are the flock attempts to minimize all for the benefit of the uneducated skinheads in the ranks?
You know the dept ALREADY transferred him. I Respect the fact that he plans on continuing his work and refuses to be run out. I promise you - nobody will try to F with him again. How he's got Gibby $.

Ih8Taxes

I think Brandon Lee said it best in the movie "The Crow" - "Victims, aren't we all".

Bswater

What makes me angry is our tax dollars are paying this guy...for no reason!

Cujeaux

$50Gs is hardly considered a nuisance case. There's NO WAY the county would agree to that if there were no violations. They're probably thanking their lucky stars it can be over for that much.
I'm sure Gibby added more hush money to the till and a nice retirement package (when the time comes). Hopefully Mees will get his traffic cop detail back and it will be deja vu all over again.

V-4-Vendetta

What a piece of garbage. He really does honor the the shield he wears.

Cujeaux

Where's 'the voice of authority' Queen Kathleen hiding? Shouldn't she be claiming another hollow victory for Team Mel by now? Remember flock, there's still the potential for a civil suit so don't get too complacent.

txcn

He didn`t file for money. He`s donating the settlement to where.

princess leia

From the LA Times - "Despite records showing calls between his home and TMZ founder Harvey Levin, no charges were filed against the deputy."
---
I haven't followed all this over the half of a decade time span so this (above) is new news to me. Was the deputy working part-time in the entertainment news industry at the time of the arrest? I can't think of any other reason there would be records of such calls. Seems like a conflict of interest to me but hey, anything goes I guess.

janet

Yeah, yeah, in a land far far away. The man has no claim to sue the county. Of course never for money, the ever popular principle. That's not working so now pulling jewish. Hold on. Can't shoot, stab, knive, cut and so on because I'm Jewish. Is this guy for real? C'mon.

c

"didn't file his lawsuit for money"

Riiiiiiight. But I'm sure he'll still take what they'll give him.

realist

I just checked the LA Court file for the latest filings. Don't read too much into it, but the last filing was the defendant's (LA County) list of exhibits on 2/10.

Wonder if the employment history was part of that. and voila, at the next court date 2/14 there's a settlement.
Hmmmmmmmmm.

kkg

@Cujeaux,

So nice to be missed! Thanks for the shout out. Regarding Officer Mee and his settlement; it appears to me if he truly was looking for fairness and felt he had a strong case then settlement would have been out of the question. But, since it appears money will be changing hands...... Shrug. Seems self evident.

Kathleen

get a life ho

The county settled for a dam good reason .,,.,,

Thet were dead wrong and didnt want to be exposed for the bunch of biased higher ups they have on the force .,.,.,FACT !