Whitney Houston

Off the Wagon ...

With the Help of Enablers

2/15/2012 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0214_whitney_gsi_EX_01Whitney Houston was heavy into alcohol in the months before her death, and many of the people around her bent over backwards to accommodate her cravings for alcohol.

Sources who spent significant time with Whitney in the last few months tell us ... Whitney drank virtually every day leading up to her death.

We're told when she started shooting the movie "Sparkle" she was sober.  In fact, Whitney's voice, we're told, was "phenomenal" and she would boast to people, "My voice is back!"

But after principal shooting, when Whitney went into the studio to dub various lines, we're told she was off the wagon.

We're told Whitney's immediate family -- and Bobby Brown -- became "extremely upset" because they believed the singer's friends were more than happy to accommodate her drinking whims whenever she wanted, even though it was apparent she had lost control.

As TMZ first reported, Whitney's family says authorities told them ... she may have died from a reaction to prescription drugs and alcohol.   We know she drank alcohol shortly before her death, and we're told she typically took Xanax -- one of the drugs found in her room -- before a performance to calm her nerves, and she was scheduled to sing at Clive Davis' Grammy party.

0213_whitney_houston_greatest_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Marie

Jim: 1 day ago
She was and was always a dope addict and her addiction killed her, no tears for the dope addict.
------------------------------------------------------------
Addiction is a disease. You cannot say it's her fault she died. She went to rehab many times trying to get rid of that addiction. She did not want to die. Instead of making fun of drug addicts you have to feel sorry for them.

LIN

To those who think alcohol won't kill you...you are wrong! Binge drinking will and can most certainly cause a heart attack in an otherwise healthy individual...I knew someone who started binge drinking and they found him dead with a glass in his hand. Unfortunately, his "best" friend enabled him just as her "friends" including Kelly Price and the rest of them that were out with her that evening. Couple a two day bender with a long history of cocaine, prescription drugs and alcohol abuse..a heart attack is not so far fetched. In fact...she could have been completely sober and had heart attack just based on the damage her drug and alcohol abuse had already caused to her body. Regardless of what or how it happened..we've lost an amazing talent all too soon and I, for one, will miss her and will always be grateful to have the amazing recordings she's left behind. God bless...

Stubbycat

Enabling? Yes, it is the drug dealer or liquor store owner's fault, not mine. Sue the bartender, crack dealer and Walgreens for any death. One does not have to take responsibility for one's own problems. My X-wife made me drink and smoke, not me.

One day she tied me down and poured a whole bottle of vodka down my throat, I couldn't do a thing about it. Even if she is #110 and I am #170. My problems are someone elses fault!!!!

potterfan

Ya'll call her weak, an addict a dope fein....well yeah she was and always will be BUT its a disease, just like cancer or cebrealpalsy..it affects your thinking your life and until you can know the mental effects from that kind of addiction STOP ridiculing her. I myself am an addict/alcoholic...sober now for 15 months BUT that doesnt mean I'm cured...there is NO CURE...yes we can get better but NEVER cured, and as far as blaming Bobby Brown...her addiction her fault even if SHE chose to start it up with him(or before),let the man be and recognize it was her and her alone who chose to pick up that first/last drug/drink.

Tyler

I don't believe one second what Chaka Khan said, this devil looser Bobby Brown and dope dealers stolen her money when she is used drugs and alcohol, the same tragic Billie Holliday's story, this bad guys degusting me !

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5