« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NY Mets Legend Gary Carter

Dead at 57

2/16/2012 2:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0216_gary_carter_bn
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has died after a battle with brain cancer ... this according to his family.

The 57-year-old NY Mets legend had been diagnosed with an aggressive, fast-moving brain cancer last year.

Carter's daughter released a statement saying, "I am deeply saddened to tell you all that my precious dad went to be with Jesus today at 4:10 p.m."

She added, "This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write in my entire life but I wanted you all to know."

Doctors had discovered 4 small tumors in Carter's brain ... after the MLB legend suddenly began to forget things, repeat questions and lacked energy.

Carter -- who was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003 -- is survived by his wife, 3 children and 3 grandchildren.

Carter was one of the superstars on the world champion '86 Mets squad. He was also an 11-time All Star.

R.I.P.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

pat

R.I.P. Kid

Met this man a couple of times and let me tell you; a class act all the way.

He will be missed.

karlew

Funny I think of him as an Expo's player. Guess it's all in you frame of reference. Either way, Expos or Mets, we all lost a great player and a good guy. R.I.P.

Kaylee

RIP. This is the same cancer that took my grandmother. We donated the tumor for research. I hope they do the same....let some good come from this.

JJ

He was one of the few TRUE good guys in the sporting world.

RIP........KId.

Drew

You could not find a better picture for Gary Carter! WOW!

Woodrow

NY Mets legend? At least get it right. Montreal Expos legend....

bring back recent posts

...awwwwwwwww...what a terrible thing...prayers for his family, and dad no longer suffering..sucks!

THIN LIZZY

Sucks, he was a great player and seemed like he was a good guy off the field.RIP

folie

On the way to your Field of Dreams. What great memories you left behind. RIP and many blessings and peace to your loved ones.

haskel420

4:10 JUST IN TIME FOR 4:20

Daniel

R.I.P Gary

Mets legend??? Last time I checked he started and ended his career in Montreal. I think he played 12 seasons with Montreal and 5 with the Mets.

moveover

Way too soon! Thanks, Gary. RIP.

no1uno

true class act, met him a couple of times. RIP KID

CLINT

One of my favorite old school baseball players. Class act and heck of a nice guy. RIP Gary Carter.

Michael K.

R.I.P Gary.....As a Braves Fan I want to thank you for the memories !!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments