« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NY Mets Legend Gary Carter

Dead at 57

2/16/2012 2:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0216_gary_carter_bn
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has died after a battle with brain cancer ... this according to his family.

The 57-year-old NY Mets legend had been diagnosed with an aggressive, fast-moving brain cancer last year.

Carter's daughter released a statement saying, "I am deeply saddened to tell you all that my precious dad went to be with Jesus today at 4:10 p.m."

She added, "This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write in my entire life but I wanted you all to know."

Doctors had discovered 4 small tumors in Carter's brain ... after the MLB legend suddenly began to forget things, repeat questions and lacked energy.

Carter -- who was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003 -- is survived by his wife, 3 children and 3 grandchildren.

Carter was one of the superstars on the world champion '86 Mets squad. He was also an 11-time All Star.

R.I.P.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

PatinNJ

I wonder if Mayor Billionaire will lower the flags in NYC, as Gov. Christie did for the crack ho.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

A sportsman in the truest sense of the word. Cared about the game more than the rewards he got from it, because he played the game for the love of it, NOT the rewards. Everyone who knew him said he couldn't wait to hit the field in the spring. A big loss for all sports because he is an example of what a sprtsman really is.

Rest in play, kid.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

I took some great pics at Shea in '88 when they played the Dodgers. We were right near the dugout & of course he had a great big smile on his face because the Mets TROUNCED the Dodgers. He may have been inducted as an Expo, but he became a World Champion as a Met. Once a Met always a Met.

George

God bless you Gary Carter R.I.P. now you can play everyday and light up the Show in the heavens like you did when you were here with us.

Mille

May you forever rest in peace and may your friends and family be comforted by faith

Hohan

He died before Coco Laboy. Who saw that coming?

jerry starr

R.I.P. Gary Carter, my fave catcher and player of the Expos in the good 80's years, you were the best of the best..gonna miss you.

Linda

So beyond sad with the passing of Gary Carter. Expo - Met, doesn't matter. He was a true baseball great!

Shame that a drug addict/alcoholic will get so much more press than a hero that you actually want your kids to look up to.
RIP Kid!

Alain

Sincere condoléance a la famille du `kid`un joueur électisant et sympatique. Adieu Gary!

CanadianDiva

MONREAL EXPOS LEGEND !!!!

Jay W.

Met him at a Baseball Camp in Orange County Ca. when I was a kid. Was a cool guy. RIP Gary!

IKNEWit

My condolences to the family of Mr. Gary Carter. Rest in peace.

Jim in Cali

Yeah hey TMZ this guy was more an Expos legend than a Mets one.

Still sad to see he couldn't fight through it. R.I.P. Gary

Back2TheFutureFan

Heard the news when I arrived home from work. Am so deeply saddened to hear about the passing of a TRUE champion, both on AND off the field. Had the absolute honor and pleasure of meeting Mr. Carter at a convention in my area (ironically enough, a few months before his brain cancer was diagnosed). He was an absolute gentleman, and was terrific with everyone. While waiting on line to meet Gary, he took a a brief break to head to the restroom. When he came out, he was approached by a fan, who had on his jersey and just wanted a picture with him. Gary graciously obliged. Am so blessed and privileged to say that I met a true baseball Hall of Famer (he was equally incredible for both the Mets and Expos), and an example by which all should aspire to emulate. RIP, Gary, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and Godspeed.

Keyser Söze

He was, with Tim Raines and Andre Dawson, one of my first baseball heroes.

RIP, Kid...