« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NY Mets Legend Gary Carter

Dead at 57

2/16/2012 2:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0216_gary_carter_bn
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has died after a battle with brain cancer ... this according to his family.

The 57-year-old NY Mets legend had been diagnosed with an aggressive, fast-moving brain cancer last year.

Carter's daughter released a statement saying, "I am deeply saddened to tell you all that my precious dad went to be with Jesus today at 4:10 p.m."

She added, "This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write in my entire life but I wanted you all to know."

Doctors had discovered 4 small tumors in Carter's brain ... after the MLB legend suddenly began to forget things, repeat questions and lacked energy.

Carter -- who was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003 -- is survived by his wife, 3 children and 3 grandchildren.

Carter was one of the superstars on the world champion '86 Mets squad. He was also an 11-time All Star.

R.I.P.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

WellSinceYouDidntAsk

Another possible victim of toxic deadly Aspartame in poison diet soda.

Jim in Cali

Okay for the clown Mets fans who think Gary only played great for them:

Gary had a career 66.3 WAR (wins above replacement)

For the Expos GAry's WAR was 52.6 in 12 years

For the Mets GAry's WAR was 11.2 in 5 years

His two best years with the Mets were his first two in 85 and 86. After that he was barely replacement level.

The statistics don't lie: He was an Expos Legend more than a Mets Legend.

Criss

That sucks! I was a fan of his as a little kid.

Penelope

TMZ = obituary's today. Never heard of him, but no baseball fan since the Big Red Machine years ago. RIP. Very young.

Truth

GARY CARTER WAS FAV BASEBALL PLAYER GROWING UP AS A KID. REMEMBER HIM WHEN HE WAS WITH MONTREAL EXPOS BACK IN THE DAY. THE ONLY PLAYER ON THAT TEAM WHO COULD HIT HOME-RUNS WHO WAS WORTH ANYTHING... DAMN, SAD TO HEAR HE WAS ONLY 57. RIP. #TRUTH!!

Nat

He was a Montreal Expo for most of his career. My condolences to his family.

Dale

Canadians will always remember him as an Expo, not a Met. He wanted to enter the HOF as an Expo, that's how much he loved Montreal and Canadian baseball fans.

smack

he was also an Expo

****tards

RD

Sad to hear that Carter had died because he sounded like a good guy. I guess he was lucky to have played in New York City because he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. His stats were nothing great. Leaving Montreal was the best thing he did because he wouldn't have made the Hall with the Expos.

Giancarlo Falchetto

It just isn't right. I feel so sad for him and his family. Cancer is such a horrible disease, and it also happens to be my horoscope sign, unfortunately. RIP.

Seldombinlaid

R.I.P. Gary God Bless you and your family at this trajic time.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4