Dolly Parton

I Didn't Mean to Diss Whitney

'I Will Always Love You' Is OURS

2/17/2012 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_dolly_parton_ex
Dolly Parton
is eating her words after calling "I Will Always Love You" HER song -- despite it being made famous by Whitney Houston -- and now tells TMZ, she's happy to share it with the late R&B legend.

Dolly took a lot of flack after her previous statement following Whitney's death -- "I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song."

But Dolly's loosening her grip on her country classic -- telling us, "I did not know Whitney, nor any of her family personally; but she will always be a part of my heart and I will always be grateful for her awesome performance and success with our song “ (emphasis hers).

Dolly adds, "My heart is with Whitney and her family as they lay her to rest ... I Will Always Love You."

Dolly's original version of the song was released in 1974. Whitney famously covered the track in 1992 for "The Bodyguard."

Googie

No apologies necessary from Dolly. Dolly wrote the song & recorded which was great. Whitney's rendition was featured in the movie and was also great. But it is what it is, Dolly's song & Whitney's rendition.

Pimpcessa

I got the luxury of seeing this DIVA in full effect, because I used to live on Williams Island, Aventura, where she had a condo for years. Whitney was in the Bal Harbour Shops one day and a fan HAD THE NERVE to approach her and ask to take a pic and get an autograph. Well, this was during the times of Bobby Brown and her being total druggies, and she turned away from the fan and LOUDLY exclaimed the "Mizzzzzz Houston is not signing anything for anyone and you had better not even attempt a picture or my bodyguard will beat your ASSSSSS"! That's what Whitney became, and was her reputation in our community since it happened OFTEN. She was not a nice person.

STFU

Dolly -- you big titty BETOCH .Take you pasty looking fake AS somewhere and SFTU and GTFOH.

Im longer a fan and since that is your song I glad I did not download it . God don't like ugly and Karma comes back tenfold.

We know you were more interested in the $ that
Whitney provided you from the song rather than the fact she is not longer with us.

im glad I have not seen the movie you did with Queen Latiah and now I have NO PLANS what --so--ever----

Lisa G

I loved the song when Dolly sang it and I knew it was Dolly's song when Whitney Houston COVERED it. It's a wonderful song. I respect both ladies' talent but it's Dolly's song. And btw, Dolly doesn't owe any apology. She was here before Whitney and clearly she's still here after Whitney.

cregis

It is Dolly's song. Why did Dolly get all those royalties if it were not her song? When Dolly sings the song at her concerts she does thank Houston for all the royalties. I prefer Dolly's version, but that is a matter of taste. I don't like any singer who screams, such as Liza Minelli, Celine Dion or Whitney Houston.

STFU

GTFOH and SFTU you fake AS BETOCH.

We know you were more interested in the $ that

go home!

Dolly is the songwriter. it IS HER SONG.

Sloane

Dolly should never feel she has to apologize for calling it her song because it is!
she wrote it- she recorded it- it was lovely
it was added to The Bodyguard with Whiteny singing - it was powerful- but it was still Dolly's song
every week that the song remained number one, Whitney sent Dolly a bunch of roses (Dolly revealed this once on a TV show I saw...probably more than once back then) as a thankyou to her for writing such a great song that boosted Whitney's career to an even higher level

TomBurke88

oh dolly. your big boobies and time has passed you bye. scarlett johannson is tops! http://www.gregpix.com/scarlett.htm amazing!

peoplearesilly

Don't get the apology -- she did write it. It is HER SONG. And that is that. She's just being professional. Good for her. Her timing was not great on it, but it is still true.

Really?

Um, it IS Dolly's song. She shouldn't have to backpedal on her words. She was being respectful in the first place and is showing even more class in sharing ownership. I love Whitney's version and definitely respect her talent but covering the song doesn't mean she should be given ownership credit. If that's the case I'm going to karaoke "Sweet Child of Mine" and insist Axl Rose call it "our" song.

kim

IT IS DOLLY PARTONS SONG, SHE WROTE IT AND WAS THE FIRST ONE TO SING IT. WHITNEY SONG IT AND COVERED IT AND COVERED IT FABULOUSLY, THAT BEING SAID WHO'S VERSION YOU LIKE THE BEST DEPENDS OF WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LIKE BUT I DO LOVE BOTH OF THEM AND WILL PICK ON OR THE OTHER SOMETIMES JUST DEPENDING ON MY MOOD THAT DAY...

Sloane

just wondering
if Whitney ever tried to write a song herself,
since there is a lot of money in owning the song
Elvis never wrote any of his from what I remember
Neil Diamond on the other hand writes and performs primarily his own material- so he gets money everytime his songs are used in movies or covered by other performers
and Barry Manilow didn't write his hit "I Write the Songs" contrary to what a lot of people assume
not everyone has what it takes to write songs..words/lyrics
and even fewer people have what it takes to write a hit song
Dolly has proven time and again that she has what it takes to write hits

Boondoggle

Dolly Parton WROTE the song and was the first person to perform it (and it was famous at that time even if it was a long time ago). Therefore it is appropriate for her to call it her song. She made a lovely statement about Whitney, and then had to apologize, or re-issue a new statement, because people got uptight about the comment? That's just ridiculous.

Whitney had a beautiful voice, and made that song more famous than most songs (so much so that it was voted on several polls in the late 90s as the most annoying song ever). But it is still Dolly Parton's song. In fact, she owns the rights to it and continues to receive royalties every time Whitney's version is played.

seatart

WTF? Whitney didn't make that song famous, she may have introduced it to a new generation, but that song was famous when Whitney was a little girl.