Dolly Parton

I Didn't Mean to Diss Whitney

'I Will Always Love You' Is OURS

2/17/2012 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_dolly_parton_ex
Dolly Parton
is eating her words after calling "I Will Always Love You" HER song -- despite it being made famous by Whitney Houston -- and now tells TMZ, she's happy to share it with the late R&B legend.

Dolly took a lot of flack after her previous statement following Whitney's death -- "I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song."

But Dolly's loosening her grip on her country classic -- telling us, "I did not know Whitney, nor any of her family personally; but she will always be a part of my heart and I will always be grateful for her awesome performance and success with our song “ (emphasis hers).

Dolly adds, "My heart is with Whitney and her family as they lay her to rest ... I Will Always Love You."

Dolly's original version of the song was released in 1974. Whitney famously covered the track in 1992 for "The Bodyguard."

Deb

I loved Whitney's version of the song - but she didn't make it famous. I grew up hearing Dolly close her show with that song for many years. I knew it by heart by the time I was 10 years old....way before Whitney ever heard of it I'm sure. It's Dolly's song and she has nothing to apologize for.

Typer51

Hey "Truth..." Nice BOLD font.

obama'saracist

all the racist haters will never be half as talented as dolly who is smart sober beautiful lust-able rich helpful not hurtful or short fused drunk oh and alive

Joe

For all you folks who insist it is Whitney's song..YOU ARE WRONG! DOLLY WROTE IT!
Dolly also took this song to number one, not once BUT TWICE!!! She is the only performer to ever accompish that feat.

cc

Dolly made HER own song famous. Whitney only covered it. But if you're under the age of 35 you think all the latest music is "new" not realizing of course, most songs today are sampled and ripped off other artists and are not fresh at all. Dolly Parton went to the bank with HER song while Whitney's version helped Dolly OWN the bank from the royalties. Whomever is writing for TMZ needs to check facts before making such a stupid statement like, "song which Whitney made famous". What a joke! It was already a famous song that Whitney re-arranged and covered. Wise up, TMZ.

Superman

The song is Dolly's. She wrote it. She sang it. Whitney just made a rendition to make money off it, in exchange for a percentage of the sales. A music corporation, like Sony, probably owns the rights to both songs, anyways!

Cheryl

As Far as I'm concerned... Dolly Parton has been around a lot longer than Whitney, She is still relevant unlike Whitney, Dolly Parton wrote this song, She also used it in a movie that had a bigger following than Whitney, She was very gracious not to make a big deal over people publicly using her song without asking permission to give tributes to Whitney. I say she has more class in her little finger than any fool that says anything wrong about her calling the song what it is and always will be.. HERS

LRM216

Dolly Parton is too real a person to even believe her voice could hold a candle to Whitney, although Dolly is much more talented in other areas than Whitney. What she means is that Whitney hit it out of the ball park with her voice singing it, and it was Dolly WHO WROTE THE SONG. Had Dolly not written the song, Whitney would never have been able to sing it.

Cindy

Dolly went to #1 twice with that song, the first time when Whitney was 9 years old. Her original version will always be my favorite. I'm tired of people dissing her, and talking like she's a nobody.

Kevin

TMZ invisible "sources" always seem to like to create trouble where none exists. Bobby Brown not being invited to the services and on and on.

Dolly wrote and performed the song. It's hers. The end.

Freda_67

With all due respect to the great Whitney, it is my favorite Dolly Parton song. It is the only Whitney song that still makes me cringe...she sang it great as usual, but it was so overplayed when it came out. I'm sad that the wonderful Dolly is getting underserved backlash, it was her song.

Rockachaw

Do you know who should be ashamed today? Do you know who should be apologizing to Whitney's fans? The people in Whitney's life who allowed her to kill herself at the age of 48 with booze and drugs. That is who should be making statements of regret today.

Not Dolly Parton, for truthfully stating that the song that she composed is her song.

Justin

What's the big deal, it was HER song. Whitney didn't do anything but sing what she was told to sing. Black people need to chill out.

bill

TO Dee: Your comments are so remedial. Really? Whitney's estate didn't manage her career as they should have. Dolly is a smart business women and has talents that are immeasurable. She is a songwriter, and all songwriters own their music and the copyrights. Why is the so hard for people to get through their minds?! Knowledge is power and in the end it's the people with knowledge who survive and who are the fittiest. Dolly Parton there is no one like you!! Thank you for your kind words about Whitney. We all loved Whitney's voice and talent. RIP Whitney

Ozzie X

Who cares. I'm sure Dolly got paid substantially and Dolly looks like a parrot.