Dolly Parton

I Didn't Mean to Diss Whitney

'I Will Always Love You' Is OURS

2/17/2012 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_dolly_parton_ex
Dolly Parton
is eating her words after calling "I Will Always Love You" HER song -- despite it being made famous by Whitney Houston -- and now tells TMZ, she's happy to share it with the late R&B legend.

Dolly took a lot of flack after her previous statement following Whitney's death -- "I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song."

But Dolly's loosening her grip on her country classic -- telling us, "I did not know Whitney, nor any of her family personally; but she will always be a part of my heart and I will always be grateful for her awesome performance and success with our song “ (emphasis hers).

Dolly adds, "My heart is with Whitney and her family as they lay her to rest ... I Will Always Love You."

Dolly's original version of the song was released in 1974. Whitney famously covered the track in 1992 for "The Bodyguard."

who cares

Dolly wrote it and ang the song better then whitney did. And lets not forget the only way withney could sing it was while high on xanax and what ever else. If it takes a drug for you to be able to stand in front of a audience to sing then you have no talent. And Whitneys talent was limited when compared to Dolly.

brown dynamite

haha People are idiots, the song is HERS. Whitney covered it, just because she passed away doesn't mean we have to tip toe around the truth.

appaulo

Dolly wrote it and performed it so it's hers. Houston is dead. Why does everyone want to turn her into a saint?

CloBird

The green-eyed beast rears its ugly head.
Parton doesn't have the voice. I've heard Parton sing "I Will Always Love You," and it's not the same sound. Whitney's voice made all of the difference.

HMichaelH

Not only did Dolly release her performance of the song well in advance of Houston's version, but Dolly actually wrote it, thereby making if "Her" (Dolly's) song! Dolly owns it, and Houston, among others, only sang it.

Laura

TMZ, this must be a real slow news day! This is such a stupid story to post. I wish Dolly would have told you that!

bon

Bottomline , its Dolly's song and Whitney did sing it beautifully!

Somerville

Huh? Why would anyone give her flack ? It was her song. And Dolly's recording initially made it famous. It's not like nobody heard Dolly's version. That sold a lot of records too.

Dolly wrote it. It's her song.

Ginamarie

um...why would anyone give Dolly ****....SHE WROTE THE SONG...and it was ALREADY famous for YEARS before Whitney touched it. Yes...whitney Houston is insanely talented...but her version of that song was just to over the top.

At least Dolly made a fortune from it.

Chuck

Since Dolly wrote the song..it damn sure is hers.

M

It's IS Dolly's Song! Why is she appologizing for that!?? She wrote it, and sang it better than anyone.. especially Whitney; who went WAY over the top with it! Dolly can also sing LIVE, Whitney could not. I'm not trying to speak ill of the dead. But this is the truth and this is how I felt about her in life.. I'm not gonna sugar-coat it now that she is dead.

Lisa

UMMMM, It IS her song!!! WTF!?

K from Canada

she wrote the song, she can claim the song as hers. leave her be.

Somerville

TMZ: Please get some fact checkers. This post is riddled with errors from top to bottom. First of all, Parton made the song famous FIRST. When she sang it in 1974, it went to NUMBER ONE TWICE.. Parton made it famous; not Houston.

"I Will Always Love You" is a song by American singer-songwriter Dolly Parton. The country track was released on June 6 1974 as the second single from Parton's thirteenth solo studio album, Jolene (1974). Recorded on June 13, 1973, the singer wrote the song for her one-time partner and mentor Porter Wagoner, from whom she was professionally splitting at the time. "I Will Always Love You" received positive comments from critics and attained commercial success, reaching number one on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart two times. With the accomplishment, Parton became the first artist ever to earn a number one record twice with the same song as a singer, and three times as a writer.

Just_Me

Even though she did write it, as many songs are written by other people, it was NOT well known nor was it popular before Whitney sang it!! I heard Dolly sing it and she sounds nowhere near as great as Whitney. She needs to get over herself and give Whitney the credit she deserves for making it popular!!