Dolly Parton

I Didn't Mean to Diss Whitney

'I Will Always Love You' Is OURS

2/17/2012 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_dolly_parton_ex
Dolly Parton
is eating her words after calling "I Will Always Love You" HER song -- despite it being made famous by Whitney Houston -- and now tells TMZ, she's happy to share it with the late R&B legend.

Dolly took a lot of flack after her previous statement following Whitney's death -- "I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song."

But Dolly's loosening her grip on her country classic -- telling us, "I did not know Whitney, nor any of her family personally; but she will always be a part of my heart and I will always be grateful for her awesome performance and success with our song “ (emphasis hers).

Dolly adds, "My heart is with Whitney and her family as they lay her to rest ... I Will Always Love You."

Dolly's original version of the song was released in 1974. Whitney famously covered the track in 1992 for "The Bodyguard."

Librag

Dolly. Don't you ever apologize to a crack head like Whitney. Every decent human being on this planet knows that was your song. Hell Vince Gill sang the song as well as Whitney but NOBODY will ever sing it as well as you.

Jenna

It was her song, what is the problem?? She is thanking Whitney for singing it and making it popular. What the freak is the issue here?

Mars521

This was and is Dolly's song, period. Yes, Whitney did sing it and sing it wonderfully but the song will always Dolly's. It was the theme song to her tv show in the 70's and will always be associated with her.

Glenda in Texas

She didn't need to clarify, she wrote the song so it is her song. I love Dolly Parton and I love Whitney Houston.

Dolly fan

I actually liked Dolly's version better. And, she did write the song, so, yes, it is hers.

my2cents

@Librag crawl out from under the rock you live in please.

ooh_andie

this is so stupid! That IS Dolly's song!!!!

Aradia07

Dolly has No reason to apologize for anything. She wrote, composed and performed the song.

SUN

Dolly is laughing all the way to the bank!! The woman is brilliant.

Noel

No big deal. Every time the song is played both Dolly and Whitney's estate make money. Can't we all get along.

belle

Well Dolly wrote it and it was number 1 in the 70's and then again in the 80's for her so it there is no reason that she can not call it HER song.

Wiz

Was Dolly invited to the funeral?

jerry

Well, if the point is that it's Whiney's because she sang it better than Dolly, move over Francis Scott Key - the National Anthym wasn't yours

Michael Jackson Was A Pedo

What idiots are giving her flack over it? It IS her song. She wrote and sung it damn near 20 years before Whitney covered it. People are morons.

tori

The song was written by Dolly so it's her song. She allowed Whitney to record and sing it that's it!