Mel Gibson

Invited to Whitney's Funeral ...

He Tried to Save Her

2/17/2012 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_wmel_whitney_ex

Mel Gibson
was invited to Whitney Houston's funeral ... and the family extended the invite because Mel tried to help the singer during a very dark period in her life ... TMZ has learned.

Sources tell us ... several years ago, when Whitney was about as bad off with drugs and alcohol as she ever was, Mel quietly intervened and spent a lot of time with her, trying to help her break the addiction cycle.

We're told Whitney's family is "extremely appreciative" and wanted Mel at tomorrow's funeral, but because of family plans he can't attend.

2idiots

princess leia: about a minute ago
I remember reading this article in People magazine several years ago:
------------
Courtney Love: Mel Gibson Helped Me Get Sober
...But the others doing drugs with her recognized Gibson and left with him to get a cheeseburger – leaving Boyd alone with Love to coax her into rehab.
Link: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1552718,00.html
-------
AAHAHAHHA!
Yes in 2006...same year he got is very "PUBLIC" DUI. And Princess, just GOOGLE COURTNEY LOVE DRUNK and you'll find "PLENTY" of stories of her being drunk in public since "MR MEL" played "HERO".
CUJ - CHORTLING @ BROKEN PROMISES....maybe in addition to Drug and Alcohol rehab, he can offer help with "SHAKIN" BABY SYNDROME" (i heard it's a rare but "treatable" "CONDITION"

2idiots

Tellthetruth59: 7 minutes ago
I take it you've never reached out to someone in trouble and they still went down a bad path? Have you ever reached out to anyone in trouble? Offered them a shoulder? An out? A solution? Did you save them? If so, good for you. You should be wearing a white robe and sandals and talking in parables if that is the case.
-----
I have helped friends but I surely dont run to my other friends "BOASTING" about the help I offered! I believe it's called being "humble"
I'm in Hawai'i now, i left my Robe at home (swapped it out for board shirt) though I do have my sandals .
A thought for "GIBBO"...."God helps those who help themselves"

Debbie

This
is the kind of Stuff Mel does and doesn't make a public fiasco out of it.

He and Members of his family do a lot of good for varying Charities and other things and keep it quite
Good for you Mel

Debbie

Cujeaux

2is - it looks like Sam is working her straw, waiting to jump in with one of her biting slams. She's been buzzing around all day waiting for you.

2idiots

Cujeaux: about a minute ago
-------
I have a can of WASP Spray ( and that's White Anglo-Saxon Protestant)

Woot

Ew... I'd rise from the dead and smack that SOB in the mouth if he showed up at my memorial.

2idiots

Cujeaux: less than a minute ago
Any spray will do. It doesn't take much for her to fall flat on her face. She's so jealous that you're in HI. Nice beach there
------
The beach directly in front of the hotel is OK...there's a better beach about 1 mile away. The Waimea river empties into the ocean near where i'm staying so the water is a bit murky. Further down the road the water is much better.

Tellthetruth59

@2I - how are you doing with the ciggies? Still not smoking?

TMZgossip

No better way to get a good line on drugs then to call up the latest news-making addict and offer help.
Did he offer to bury Whitney in the Rose Garden?

Tellthetruth59

Kevin Costner's outfit going into the W. Houston's services... Mel looks straight out of GQ on his worst day compared to this freak show. Mom jeans - check. Black organ grinder vest - check. Women's scarf from the Jaclyn Smith collection at Kmart - check. Vintage, tan Frye boots from the Salvation Army and pulled from the wreckage of Hurricane Kartrina - check. Mixing black, brown and tan... I believe I've only seen a Beagle do that tastefully. Good Lord!

2idiots

Cujeaux: 8 minutes ago
Sounds nice. Hoping to go on my next B'day. Like the VRBO suggestion. No screaming kids around is all I ask. I live near a beach so that's NBD
---
If you're looking for WAY off the beaten path, check-out Waimea Plantation Cottages (that's where I say and where I am now!) ... SUPER LAID back. Shorts, tees and flip-flops, swim wear is all i wear here. waimea brewing company (on property) - great food and EXCELLENT Micro-brews! the cottage here are really nice and clean and well priced. There's a small spa on-site as well. FREE WIRELESS throughout (That's for SAM)
@ Tell - Yes Ma'am - smoke free since dec 23!!! No more cravings - i dont even think about it anymore...down side is i've been eating more! time to start exercising!

renae

Really? Wow that was kind of him to do.

Cujeaux

Tellthetruth59:  6 minutes ago
----------------------------------------
This made me LOL Tell, ESP. The beagle colors. I noticed BK showed up in jeans and a hobo bag. It's Newark though so it doesn't surprise me in the least. Gotta love the funeral programs. Cissy better slow her roll a bit. She's looking like another Joe Jackson.

Lilian Cristina Pires

Quanto mais leio notícias de Mel, mais o admiro. Mel se preocupa com seus amigo, com as pessoas. Mel é um ser de coração bondoso. Ele é perseguido porque é sincero, fala o que pensa, não usa máscaras. Mel se mostra. Ele vai dar a volta por cima. Ele vai vencer, igual a uma Fênix. Deus é justo. Amo Mel Gibson.

The more I read the news of Mel, more I admire it. Mel if worries about its friend, with the people. Mel is a being of kind heart. It is pursued because he is sincere, it speaks what it thinks, does not use masks. Mel if shows. It goes to give the return superficially. It goes to be successful, equal to a Fênix. God is just. I love Mel Gibson.

Plus je lis des nouvelles de Mel, plus l'admire. Mel s'inquiète avec leur ami, avec les personnes. Mel est un être de coeur gentil. Il est poursuivi parce que c'est sincère, parle ce qui pense, n'utilise pas de masques. Mel échantillon. Il va donner tourne superficiellement. Il va gagner, égal à un Fênix. Dieu est juste. J'aime Mel Gibson.

Cuanto más que leí las noticias de los Mel, yo las admiran más. Mel si se preocupa de su amigo, con la gente. El Mel es un est del corazón bueno. Se persigue porque él es sincero, habla lo que piensa, no utiliza máscaras. Mel si demostraciones. Va a dar la vuelta superficial. Va a ser acertado, igual a una Fênix. El Dios es justo. Amo Mel Gibson.

cluetrain

Not surprising considering that Mel Gibson is know to have helped Courtney Love and Robert Downey Jr. as well when they were struggling with their own drug issues. Such a shame that Mel has been so unfairly demonized by the media over the past several years.