Whitney Houston Invite

It's NOT a Funeral

It's a 'Home Going' Service

2/17/2012 8:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Official Whitney Houston invitation... not a funeral... but rather a home going service.
Here's the official Whitney Houston invitation ... and  Whitney's family is not referring to the singer's burial ceremony as a "funeral" ... but rather a "home going service."

The invite -- obtained by TMZ -- reads, "With heartfelt gratitude, the Houston Family requests the honor of your presence at the home going service for Whitney Elizabeth Houston."

A "home going" service is more common in the black community and is usually more upbeat and positive than a typical funeral. The focus is to honor the deceased as they go "home" to Heaven to be with God.

As we previously reported, the ceremony at The New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, NJ will be a very exclusive affair ... with a guest list hand-selected by Whitney's family.

The event will begin at 12:00 PM EST -- with several of Houston's famous friends expected to participate in the service ... including Kevin Costner, Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin.

0213_whitney_houston_greatest_footer

nycdiva34

"Home Going" is a term us african americans use, we don't use the term funeral. So instead of being disrespectful, try finding out what it means first. I'm sure u have some african americans on staff there. I'm surprised they didn't inform you guys of what it was...R.I.P Whitney

Jackie Spowage

R.I.P
To my hero :-(

mechelle

R.I.P WHITNEY WE WILL MISS YOU LOVE YOU

Vonnecia

To all the ignorant white people. It isfor damn sure Whitney Houston is and was not the only substance abuser in th entertainment word. Janis Joplin, Amywine house and many many more. You peopleneed to stop being so damn stupid. You cannot take her greatness from her. But what you can do is kiss,no I will not stoopto your level. Grow up blacks are not going anywhere and neither are you. Not just get over your damn selves.

scott

to many yes people, someone should have said No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dion

What a beautiful way to put it "Home going service"..i like the way African-Americans think!!!...i'm from New Zealand,and have Maori heritage, We call it "Tangi" which means "cry" in Maori.But i think i may use this term from now on. RIP WHITNEY!!!

gigi

A LOT OF PEOPLE USE "HOME GOING" ESPECIALLY OF THE BAPTIST/CHRISTIAN FAITHS I WOULD SAY ITS A BLACK THING BUT IV SEEN THE SAME THING ON WHITE PEOPLE'S PROGRAMS I THINK ITS MORE OF A PREFERENCE

blahblahblah

At the bottom. Does that suppose to be Order Your Procuts? Because it says Honor YOU procuts!

Ebony

There is nothing unusual about the phrase "home going service". In most African American communities, a "home going service" is a funeral.

Bettsie

Whitney Houston should have been in a lock down rehab .She needed help so badly and now her daughter Bobby kristina has to bear the heart break of not having her mother. These so-called friends they didn't care about Whitney. I know she was very sick but somebody like Dr. Drew should have dried to help her. It's a real stupid shame. I love l.a. now all they do is sell papers about it and clive davis gets richer and Dolly to.

Deborah

Jesus wept, He took our beautiful Whitney home to get her out of her pain. Look what he give her and she chose drugs over life. Sad very sad indeed. Regardless, I still love Whitney and always will. My thoughts and prayers to family.

MARYBELL

I love you and will always respect you Whitney in this life and afterlife. You will always be remembered as a happy always laughing n smiling individual. Of course very talented n #1 singer and our musical teacher. God rest ur soul u can be with peace. Everything now doesn't matter for u no more stress no more drama. Love u always n thank you for everything u will b missed. R.I.P. Whitney Houston!!!XOXOXO....

Redd Lewis

Show Details FROM:Reddith Lewis TO:reddjlewis@yahoo.com Message flagged Friday, February 17, 2012 11:25 PM
My Tribute to Whitney Houston:

Whitney, it's so hard to say good-bye. I remember so vividly when I first heard your songs on the radio. I instantly became a faithful fan with a relentless thirst for more. Whenever I listened to the radio, I waited eagerly for your songs to be played no matter which one came first.
Whitney, if ever the words "gone too soon" ever had real meaning, they do at this time. I will always remember your charm and the melody of your musical brilliance....a voice second to none. There have been many extraordinary singers, both past and present. But, Whitney, you and you alone, stand at the top. I shall never forget how you could change, manage, regulate, adjust, etc. your voice when you performed as no one else could.
Whitney, today my heart grieves with unspeakable grief. Yet, I find myself deeply apprehensive concerning its mend. Why? For fear that your solemn memory might begin to fade. But I know that in time it will mend. There is some comfort in knowing that you are in God's care. I can envision Him as He welcomes you while uttering these words, "Whitney, you have indeed shared your blessed voice with the world. You have brought joy into the lives of millions. You have uplifted despondent spirits. You have loved while being loved. You have admired while being admired. You have given of yourself tirelessly to make the world a better place. For this, I am pleased. Come on up higher and get your reward."

Rest in peace, Whitney. I love you with an undying love. My love for you runs so deep....deeper than a bottomless reservoir. I dread the thought of knowing that you are physically removed from this life. But, surely, God has greater plans in store for you. Yes, it's hard. But, reluctantly I will say, "good-bye." I'm looking forward to seeing you again on the other side.

Michelle

For all those who do not understand the term "Going Home" It is meant as a celebration that you are going home to be with God. FYI I am white, buy have learned this. It is somewhat up lifting to celebrate someone's life instead of the entire service "sad". It does take getting use to... Think of it this way that you are going to be with God..

Harriet

Those we love don't go away, They walk beside us everyday, Unseen, Unheard, but always near so sadly missed, so very dear.Rest in peace Whitney E Houston.