Aretha Franklin

Calls in Sick to Whitney's Funeral

But Performs Hours Later

2/19/2012 7:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at the Whitney Houston funeral service.
Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at Whitney Houston's funeral service in New Jersey yesterday afternoon ... but was well enough to perform at Radio City Music Hall that night.

Aretha said she had been suffering from leg spasms and wanted to rest up for her show, rather than travel for the funeral. She released a statement, saying in part, "heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

The Queen of Soul dedicated a portion of her show to Whitney, and also to Nick Ashford, who passed away last August.

Cathy

She should have taken her fat ass to that funeral and sang! Even if she did not stay! Uhhh
How far is NewArk from New York. Should have had the limo take her to Newark which
Is 1/2 half hour away...go in the church... SING the damn song, hug Cissy and
Bobbi K.. Get back in the limo and take her fat ass back to her show. I am so sick
Of inconsiderate people!!!!

Salvia Johnson

Aretha should have attended Whitney's funeral -- no excuses!

letty

aretha behaved very badly in not going to whitney her goddaughter funeral and then sining later that night, thats not cool at all. VERY BAD.

jamesshuler

ARETHA GOT THE GAME F--K UP.."GOD FORBIDE" SOME GODMOTHER SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN.I HEARD HER ON THE STEVE HARVEY MORNING SHOW ONE DAY AT THE END OF THE SHOW.STEVE HARVEY WAS TRYING TO APOLOGIZE TO HER ABOUT THE MIX UP IN THE TIME SCHEDULE SHE WAS SUPPOSE TO COME ON THE SHOW AND OFFER HER TO COME BACK ON THE SHOW IN THE MORNING AND SHE DECLINE.I TELL YOU THESE RETIRED SINGERS COME BACK TO SHOW BUSINESS AN GET A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY AND THINK EVERYBODY IS HATING ON THEM NOW.

marci

Aretha was NOT Whitney's godmother. That continues to be reported but it is not factual.

Rossetta

First Aretha, like Etta James, has been thru it! She herself has been sick! If she had a gig at RCMH then go for it!! She would had to deal with all the press, etc at Witney's DA DO-
I am thrilled she is still around and still singing.. RIP-Etta James!!

Grace

I think She did the right thing. She had an obligation to her fans. Whitney is gone. She will be missed but nothing she could say to bring her back. I say to all those young people that think she was so insensitive to put themselves in Aretha's shoes. Most of all I say to those that think she was so insensitive "KEEP ON LIVING."

Meanie

Aretha is a well known B!tch. She requires her stage to be a certain temperature, etc etc.

Lindsay

Aretha was NOT Whitney's godmother so that is an invalid point. Last week I think it was Whitney's aunt stated that it is common misconception, but she isn't her godmother. And like another poster said, maybe she knew the REAL Whitney and didn't want to be a part of it. You would think the world stopped the way people are bitching about this... Whitney was a drug addict and not someone to be worshiped, she had a great voice, but so do a lot of other people. Drugs=death, when will ppl learn that?

MIDNIGHT TOKER

she was too busy...tjhey had a half price sell on double cheeseburgers at 5 guys so she was too busy stuffing her face..plus whittney is dead so she wasnt going to be paid for it so she did a no show

Jamie

It's plain and simple, her concert could have been rescheduled. Paying her last respects to Whitney and her family could not.

Cathy

If she was that sick, she would not have performed at Radio City that night. AF is very talented, but I was always put off by her "personality" over the years (I have seen her in concert). Now I know why. You cannot blame someone for being ill, but to me it is obvious that she had a choice and chose a pre-scheduled performance over Whitney. I think it's lousy - and selfish. But I'm not really surprised. Note that Dionne Warwick cancelled a scheduled performance to be with Whitney's family and to be at the funeral.

NoDifferent

Sounds like a rift in the family. Aretha has always been know for pulling stunts. Not sure if it's still the case but for years lawyers basically had to get involved for people to get paid of who's services she utilized. It was always blamed it on her managers or accounting people or whatever. She moved to one of Detroit's exclusive suburbs and immediately put those ghetto security bars on the windows to the neighbors dismay. Her son burned down another home that she couldn't afford and they threw a charred baby grand piano out in the yard for dramatic effect. I didn't follow-up on it but last I heard she never paid for that inaugural hat either. She, like Whitney, aren't quite the "queens" you all believe they are.

Faith

I could be totally wrong... but maybe Aretha couldn't handle all this: "Whitney was the greatest voice of all time." "The voice" "The most amazing woman God ever created." Who knows what goes on in people's hearts. But, Aretha has been upheld for years as "The Queen." Maybe she can't handle someone else upstaging her. I hope that's not hte case, but I have to wonder.

Chan

She could've showed up for support. Aretha has been nothing but selfish and a HATER all her life to other woman in the business. If you have another show and want to rest up wow. And yes she's old we all know this. But how is it that Jennifer Hudson,Donnie McClurkan and Diddy were able to make it. They were in LA the night before performing on the live broadcast of the NAACP image awards. They flew in and probably didn't receive much sleep but attended services. Bobby as well was performing in NC on Thursday and was in Maryland on Fri.. He was at the funeral for a while left to do a show in Conn on Sat and back to NJ on sun at the NJPAC!!

SO PLEASE IT'S BULL SHE DIDN'T WANT TO ATTEND. THAT'S MY THEORY.