Aretha Franklin

Calls in Sick to Whitney's Funeral

But Performs Hours Later

2/19/2012 7:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at the Whitney Houston funeral service.
Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at Whitney Houston's funeral service in New Jersey yesterday afternoon ... but was well enough to perform at Radio City Music Hall that night.

Aretha said she had been suffering from leg spasms and wanted to rest up for her show, rather than travel for the funeral. She released a statement, saying in part, "heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

The Queen of Soul dedicated a portion of her show to Whitney, and also to Nick Ashford, who passed away last August.

Towa

Aretha is in financial trouble. IRS is after her for back-taxes. Her not going to the Homegoing does not mean lack of respect. For all we know, Aretha may have offered and in the future, offer to Cissy & Bobbie Kristina a comfort and form of support that goes beyond the those who attended the service. When the media curtain is drawn and the crowd goes home...that's when the real friends show up. Because that's when the real grief sets in. Aretha, do what you got to do.

HumanNature

NOBODY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT ARETHA, CISSY, AND WHITNEY RELATIONSHIP!!!

TMZ IS A GOSSIP SITE AND DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU READ FROM HERE!!!!

victoria

I can understand her hurt and pain from whitney's loss,and she also had an pre-engagement as far as her concert.That was alot for her plus she has been sick in the past and im sure that this hit her very hard. And she may just wanted to remember Whitney the way she was and that attending this funeral may have affected her more than we know.

John

Based on enough of the ****ty remarks on this gossip column, here, online, The Soul Queen made the right choice not to attend. Some of the comments, I'm sure, are reflective of how the people really feel. The TMZ fans and the Franklin fans and the Houston fans may overlap at some points, but mostly these are TMZ fans... obviously.

kenne

I wasn't surprised at all; Aretha is known for hating on other strong vocalist in the biz. And I would bet Whitney's talent and acheivements (being labelled 'the voice')has caused her much 'hate' over the years. I bet if it was Terrance Howard's funeral she would have ASKED to sing, showed to perform and cancelled her concert.

pokergalpoker

Something sounds wrong here. If she had cancelled due to leg spasms, she or someone in her entourage would have informed whoever was running Whitney's funeral. Dionne Warwick obviously had no idea she wasn't there when she introduced her to speak next.

Jnorwood

The majority is correct, it certainly isn't adding up. Why not give Aretha's seat to Bobby's nine guests???

Jnorwood

I think the majority are correct. It's not adding up. Since Aretha wasn't showing, they could have given her seat to Bobby's nine guests! What's the problem?

Steve

Short of being on her own death bed, I can't accept any excuse for her not being there. Her own god daughter? Please. Does anyone know if she made it to the burial the following day? Or did she have leg spasms again? I'll wager odds on this one.

Zaidi

Some 'godmother' she is. Probably thought, "everybody knows I'm 'the voice'1

roni

shame on her what a godmother her concert could have been rescheduled or postponed this was whitneys goodbye people who have worked behind the scenes for these artists know the real truth i loved elvis but i knew his personal acts up close and personal from back of concerts las vegas alxo aretha know about her drug antics and nitchiness shame on her

Kl Conrad

First of all Aretha Franklin is not Bobbi Christina's Godmother,CeCe Winans is and is doing her job.I know how diffcult it can be to attend a funeral and have chosen not to on some occasions,be nice, you don't know the whole truth just what the media wants us to hear.

Rob Smith

She is not the queen anymore. There are some things more important than money. What a shame. She will regret that decision the rest of her life. And she should.

Geepee

I didn't miss her. There were great tributes from those who came.

DAKOTA

Aretha is not her blood relative. My husband was Aretha's sound engineer a few years ago at the Kentucky Horse Breeders Assoc. $20,000 red carpet, $40,000 stage and Aretha was paid $250,000 to sing 12 songs. That's $2,100 per song for about a 45 minute show. Where would you rather be, making $250,000 or losing $250,000? I will take the $250,000. I am sure that the show she just did paid more than $250,000 since the show I am talking about was 3-4 years ago. Quit b****ing about Aretha, she's still rocks.