Aretha Franklin

Calls in Sick to Whitney's Funeral

But Performs Hours Later

2/19/2012 7:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at the Whitney Houston funeral service.
Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at Whitney Houston's funeral service in New Jersey yesterday afternoon ... but was well enough to perform at Radio City Music Hall that night.

Aretha said she had been suffering from leg spasms and wanted to rest up for her show, rather than travel for the funeral. She released a statement, saying in part, "heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

The Queen of Soul dedicated a portion of her show to Whitney, and also to Nick Ashford, who passed away last August.

Previous 15 Comments | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25

Suze Prudent

Shame on Aretha for not showing up on her God-daughter Whitney funeral to support her friend Cissy on that tragedy..no more Aretha music for me,,shame,shame Aretha

Lilie

The world isn't suppose to stop turning but when you promise your support, keep your word!! Maybe she wouldn't have had leg spams if she hadn't been hopping from interview to inverview the night before. Well let's look at the bright side, at least we didn't have to listen to Aretha butcher "I will always love you". I don't like her version at all. No one could have done it better than Whitney herself. RIP

Denni

Like Whitney, Aretha's voice is gone too. She breathes heavily and cannot sustain the notes as she did when she was young. Her days singing are over as evidenced during the inauguration of Obama. I have heard many singers sing in cold weather, early in the day. No excuses!I really lost it when I saw her and heard her COUGH in the middle of a song!Artists need to realize when it is time to walk away.

Tammy

I did not buy the leg spasm excuse. I saw Aretha on late night Friday and she fully planned to be at the funeral. She did not however know what she would be asked to sing. I think either Cissy got mad about something that Aretha said on the talk shows and she was uninvited or Aretha found out that she was to sing I'll always love you and chickened out. Can't blame her. Who could compare to Whitneys voice?

sandy

Maybe she's upset with Whitney because her death could have been avoided. Maybe she feels Whitney caused this on herself.

mnike

Aretha is a disgrace, period. Ain't no way you do that to
a grieving devasted Cissy. She is a do wrong women with no respect and much hatered in her heart. She was not willing to sit through the service with people praising Whitney's talent. Wish her and Whitney could simply TRADE PLACES!

arnita

Everybody who says they love you don't always love you!!! Just sayin!!!

Angle

When people are close to you. You have a hard time attending furneral's regardless to who it may be,especially when you feel your days upon this earth is approaching an end soon. It is not for the fans, veiwer,or anyone else to judge or give there opinion of Aretha Franklin excuse of not attending. The reason I am making this statement is because people are different. We coupe differently to things. The Bible (KJV)ROMANS 15: 1 states, "we that are strong shall be the infirmities of the weak".

My mother is an example of what I am talking about. We lost two of my brothers. She was not able to attend neither furneral and had to be under medical care for months. This past November someone called my mother from Alabama with bad news about a dear close friends death. my mother had a massive stroke. The news broke her heart. I am sure, it did the same for Mrs Aretha as it has mys. My mother loved this young minister as one of her own. My mother has not fully recovered yet.

It is apparent that (Aretha) loved Whitney and family. Considering her age and possibly her wishes. You never know if she just can't bare the news of losing her friend. Let's not stress or depress Aretha harming her emotionally with our word. Just maybe she do not want all her business public. Let's not judge.

According to the word of GOD, the same measure we judge (giving wrong opinions) it will come back to us worst.

Besides that the 10 comandments say not to bare false witness against our neighbor. Let just take (Aretha) at her word.

Our prayers goes out to Whitney Family. May God continue to keep them and bless them and bestow peace upon the entire family and fans who will miss Mrs. Whitney. (Aretha) may GOD ever keep you fit for his service.

romney rice

I do understand that she had a show scheduled, however, she has had and will continue to have 1000's of shows. Whitney Houston died one time, had a funeral one time, the opportunity to show support for her family one time. I think it is time we look at our priorities. That is only if we are really "friends" with one another. I do understand pain and having to choose, all I am saying is that since there is no repeat of her funeral, there was room for a sacrifice of 1 show....

Marie

Radio City is about a 20 minute drive to Newark, NJ. How much rest did she need that she couldn't even make an appearance at the funeral? Hollywood is a dog eat dog world that is for sure....

blackeyesugar

It pretty obvious, the relationship was just a musically association relationship. She did not even know Whitney could sing until she was a grown women. Arthea, what goes around comes around... remember.

Trinicat

Whitney would have wanted her to do her concert.

Previous 15 Comments | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25