'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

hecase

It's very sad. I hope gets well quickly.

lookItsMegRyan

Probably not a good time to ask him to name something off the top of his head.

wendy

yeah this is soo sad

lulu

That is so heartbreaking and sad.

michelle

This is a horrible position to be in for sure. I hope he finds some inspiration to keep on living. Very sad to listen to.

it sounds like he shot through his optic nerves. he's probably blind now. :-/ what a shame.

joanna

my heart and prayers go out to him and his family,life is to precious,i hope he gets the help he needs.

asdf

Are you serious! He asked "Do you know the number OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD". Hilarious and awful all at once.

Rob

Maybe the operator asking "do you remember the number off the top of your head" was not the correct choice of words....

mak

Didn't he play Spangler on Malcolm in the Middle?

Bomani Berry

I am a black male born and raised in the "bad" part of town. i love cultural diversity...that being said, PLEASE stop giving that black chick (who speaks like she has a mouth full of marbles and a third grade education)air time. She should be a fact checker or something, cause speaking on national t.v. is not her thing! other than that Great show keep up the good work!

brent

the operator asks he knows his sisters phone number "off the top of his head"
kind of inappropriate.

ben

The 911 operator actually says "do you know the phone number off the top of your head?"

paul

the operator asked him if he knew his sister's number off the top of his head - after he shot himself in the head. I was waiting for the "no pun intended".

John

How is this even legal, if medical records are so private how does that not apply to this? This country is so f'd