'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

deni

Is anyone as annoyed by the 911 dispatcher as I am??? Why ask all these questions??!!! Just send a damn ambulance!!!!! Poor guy I really do wish he survives!!! God bless him..very sad story =(

Matthew

You should be ashamed of yourselves, more than ever. This poor man's lowest moment, and you are broadcasting it as entertainment on your s***my website.

I truly hope you all find some cosmic retribution for your evil. True, disgusting evil. As a person who is not religious - Hell for all of you.

UnderINK

I can't believe people are saying 'If it was a real suicide attempt, why didn't he shoot himself again instead of calling 911.' Dude, he probably got scared ****less. It didn't work the first time; the normal psychological reaction would be to bail and save your life at that point. Second, if it WASN'T a serious suicide attempt - why the **** did he shoot himself in the temple the first time? Screw off.

leavehimalone

Poor guy has to answer all these questions as he lays dying. Just AWFUL to hear! I want to smack the operator. Get him help and stop asking so many questions.

Ryan

For some reason this really upset my 13 year old son. We used to watch Malcolm in the Middle and Von Bargen was one of our favorite characters. Regardless if you think its Devine intervention, something tells me he thinking about it right now. Hope he pulls through.

Katt GA

He did not want to go to the hospital because (2) toes were to be amputated??

Hassell

god bless him...

dawna

My prayers are with him. Having worked for a podiatrist, diabetes is VERY serious. Especially on the WEIGHT BEARING limbs.

Kmr1

ATTENTION WHORE

Jason

I cannot believe all of the hateful comments on here about this poor man. Yes, he attempted suicide and yes, he failed. But for crying out loud, that guy was extremely depressed. He has severe diabetes, he's lost one leg and most likely will lose the other. It's unfortunate that his life took these horrific turns. It's now even more unfortunate that he will be in even worse shape since his botched suicide attempt. But a little compassion from folks would be in order. Not judgement and damnation. He's only 51 and to be in such poor health at such a young age is extremely depressing. It would be depressing in old age.

DSQ

I think it's revolting TMZ is airing a suicidal man's 9-1-1 call. This is not entertainment.

SilverThread

The operator should stop asking so many questions??? Do you guys even know the purpose of a dispatcher? Yeah, they send the ambulance, but while they're on the way, the dispatcher has to stay on the line with the caller, get any relevant medical information for the medics (like the fact von Bargen was diabetic), and to KEEP THE PERSON TALKING SO THEY WON'T DIE.

Heather

Wow, how incredibly sad. I feel so badly for this poor man. And after reading some of these comments, I wish that some of you would put a gun to your ethically challenged heads and pull the trigger. Your lack of empathy for someone who is obviously alone and broken is astonishing and gives little hope for the future of the human race.

Chris17psi

Seriously, all bad-taste and low-class jokes aside, this is sad. Makes you wonder what really made him attempt this. I mean REALLY attempt it; Not the whole, "I-don't-wanna-lose-my-toes" story, but the real reason(s). I remember him distinctly in his past roles on ALOT of shows-he was good at strait faced and sarcastic humor....And to the comment above about how a suicidal person would, after the failing attempt, think to call 911 and not chamer another round, i'd bet ALOT of money that the person would change their mind after having experienced the feeling of a F-ing BULLET GO THROUGH THEIR HEAD. Probably had thoughts like, "this hurts" or "wow, this is embarrassing" and "THIS REALLY HURTS" also, "what if I fail again-what shape would I be in THEN?"....and at 0:53, did he tell the 911 operator that he just "sh** in his bed"?

haha

Dumb SOB should have overdosed like everyone else.