'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

djk

do you have her phone number off the top of your head - what a f'n question by the operator

Repeter

Very sad. How tired & frightened he must have been to decide to kill himself when he knows his 2 sisters will be coming to his apt. that day.

I hope he recovers & gets help for his demons.

ninformant

holy crap! daniel is an awesome actor and i hope he has a speedy recovery. i feel bad for the guy :-( you have to be seriously miserable if you attempt suicide.

sean

2:07 "do you know the phone number off the top of your head?"

!!!

tiff

This is TMZ's bread and butter now isn't it? Capturing people at the most desperate, horrible moments of their lives and making money off it. No more hits from me my friends. I'm pretty sure I can find out elsewhere if Lindsay falls off the wagon or Kim gets married again. You people are despicable.

Redz

This is the problem with collectivist thought. We force people into mutilating themselves with violent methods of leaving a life they no longer feel is worth living, instead of legalizing self-euthanasia. If this gentleman survives his injuries, he'll probably be blind and have serious mental deficits along with even more astronomical medical and rehabilitation costs.

This type of societal collectivism creates anger in some of those who wish to leave life in a more dignified and peaceful manner, enough so that they may lash out and take others with them in a violent end, which is completely understandable.

Perhaps it is time to end this selfish collectivist mentality and free people to choose a safe, peaceful ending to their own lives, so that they do not choose to take others with them.

veronica

omg, i really hope he pulls through. he is a great actor and was hilarious in super troopers. my thoughts and best wishes are with him.

Puzzled

What is the necessity for any media outlet to publicize a 911 call? It seems in this case it did nothing to further the news story of the attempted suicide and "harrowing phone call", other than demonstrate it and expose what I suspect to likely be the most private and personal crisis this person has ever dealt with, let alone may not survive. In matters pertaining to criminal cases or public safety, I do consider there may some be merit in doing so. In this particular case, from a purely objective standpoint, since DVB is an entertainment celebrity, and hence a potential asset of respective celebrity news outlets, it is understandable for business and responsible journalism practices to provide as much factual detail and evidence as possible to lend credibility to the story. However, I believe doing so here does nothing for DVB other than cause embarrassment, humiliation, and potentially greater risk for exaserbation of his mental condition and subsequent repeated suicide attempts. Suicide is widely do***ented to be the result of deep depression, a clinical disease caused by an imbalance of natural chemicals occurring in the brain, often requiring medical intervention and a treatment regimine of meds and counseling to potentially remedy. Even to the closest of family members and friends of a suicide victim, the warning signs are often very difficult to detect because they are usually very deliberately hidden by the depressed person, as a result of feelings of shame and embarassment by their condition. Hence, by default, a failed suicide attempt provides a tremendous opportunity to save and possibly help the afflicted person return to a state of stable mental health, regardless of whether they desire or are capable of seeking it at the time. It sounds to me that DVB immediately realized after the gun went off that he didn't want to die afterall, and therefore made the desperate attempt at saving his own life, and thanks to the efficient public service of the 911 emergency system, was able to do so for the time being. All of this said, I highly doubt anyone in this situation would ever want the news of such an event to be made public, let alone experience the actual recording be broadcasted. Since its not illegal in every state, no one has appeared to have broken any laws here, or in similar casese, but I believe a serious ethics question should be raised and seriously consdidered here. I believe the human nature to want to truly help people, or at least prevent from hurting unnecessarily CAN override the co-existing human impulse and desire for news and exposure of people's problems to the world. Therefore, I recommend the continuation of legislative measures to ban such recordings from being made public, unless it is deemed to provide "true" value to matters of public safety.

Christina Lasko

I can't believe so many people are being so absolutely evil on here. This poor man obviously shot himself in the head because he was desperate and wanted to end his life without pain but unfortunately survived and maybe had a change of heart or didn't want to die slow and painfully. This made me tear up hearing it, even though I didn't know him. And I'm ashamed of the human race with these reactions.

Jeff

There but the grace of God go I.

bob

nolte to puzzled why dont u tell us how u really felt? your comment isnt long enough,.

rssgvegas

He obviously didn't take Seinfeld's advice on suicide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gPJpzgPReE

alumette

All these questions....has that dispatcher sent an ambulance ? I hope so.....I can't believe he is conscious and talking after shooting himself in the temple with a 38 Colt. If he survives, he will be debilitated and certainly worst than he was before. What a bad move....what was he thinking ? the survival instinct is stronger than the common sense.

Judy

Wow, what's with the police being such *******s when they get there? I mean, clearly he did some MAJOR damage to his face, you'd have to, shooting yourself in the temple and surviving. He was apparently laying down and incapacitated. I know there's probably "protocol" and whatnot when guns are involved in an incident, but come on. He's not a criminal.

ALSO - to those of you saying things like "how come he called 911 if it was a suicide attempt? wouldn't he fire another bullet to finish himself off?!" don't be idiots. the shock to your system is something none of us can even imagine unless we can relate to it, and i would venture that the majority of us here have NEVER been even close to a near-death experience. it radically alters your perceptions in such a way that it incomprehensible, impossible to even explain.

He obviously changed his mind about dying, after he survived what he was expecting to be a fatal shot. Don't be ignorant, there's no excuse for it.

Chad Baker

"Do you know her number off the top of your head?"

I am not sure if he still had the top of his head!