'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

JiLL1

Must suck for him. He goes to all that trouble for nothin'. He thought he had problems before, now he has a hole in his head to go with them.

Christy

Sad...hope he recovers soon!!

Rolm

To bad he is not dead thins the herd

Alex

poor guy

Cao

I have no speculation on a another's tragedy. Prayers for the lost.

Miss Lily Skye

people can say whatever they want about people who commit suicide, or attempt to commit suicide. for me, my heart aches every time I hear about something like this. The pain that they must be going through in life to even think about doing something like that has to be so horrible, and sometimes other people just don't pick up on it in time.

from l.a

not spangler from malcolm in the middle!!!

who dat

You gotta have empathy for anyone who feels they need to kill them self.

Shotzie

You should clean up the tape and take off the phone numbers of his loved ones. This is very, very sad!

The PMG

He was also Commandant Spangler on Malcolm in the Middle. It's sad he felt he needed to end his life, hope for the best.

joerega

Was it Seinfeld or Super Troopers?

Cheryl A.

The human mind is fascinating. Shoot yourself in the head in an attempt to die because you don't want to lose a couple of toes, realize you don't really want to die and call 911 and go to the hospital where they will attempt to save your life and if they succeed, amputate those damned toes anyway. Sad, really, really sad!

LAWRENCE

The crazy part is that women generally survive their attempts at suicide because they use less lethal methods like sleeping pills. I feel horrible for this guy, he expected it to be over in a second and then he was just feeling the pain and couldn't take it anymore. Very upsetting and sad story. If you're reading this and you're thinking about killing yourself please remember that things actually do get better, I've been there and although I won't lie and say I'm where I want to be yet I would have never had the chance to try had I not given myself the chance. Things get better, get some help.

KnuckleDragger

If he was scheduled to 'have a few toes removed' more than likely he has neuropathy from either type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Before analog insulins that was common. Nowadays, with recommended diets and better management that's not the case. I'm a type 2 diabetic; keeping your diabetes under control isn't that hard.

Woot

Omg, I'm in tears after listening to that. It's just so sad to know that a fellow human being has mentally and emotionally gotten to a place of no hope. I've been there. Imagine your anguish being SO bad, your hell SO all-encompassing, that taking your life seems the only relief available to you in spite of the pain you know you're causing others. Selfishness? Hardly even an issue here. What would YOU do to get yourself out of a very real, endless hell?