'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

Gerrin Rrestadt

How many terrible things happen, including people making jokes here about this situation, because we as individuals have no fear of God.

Allison

It's been a few days now... any news on how he is doing? I hope he is able to regain his vision.

Charmaine

I haven't heard anything lately about how Daniel is doing since his suicide attempt. Can anyone fill me in? My heart goes out to him in so many ways.

PettyBeotch

He is in a coma at the moment. We have a mutual friend. I had the pleasure of working with the man several years ago. What a great character actor and a true gentleman. My best wishes Daniel.

DaTroof

He's a fine actor
who has been in so many of my favorite movies,
I wish him the very best.

Kathy

What a tragedy - I hope, if he survives, he can find some meaning in life. Recently, my husband and I started watching Malcolm in the Middle and we absolutely loved Daniel's performance as the hapless Commander of the Military Academy that Francis was attending.

It just goes to show that the public never knows the pain and torment that Actors endure. They are flesh and blood people, just like everyone else but we tend to forget that. Godspeed, Daniel, I pray you find peace.

Ted Sutton

This is a story about a very talented actor. I worked for 2 weeks with Daniel on G.I. Jane in 1994. We were both New York actors. He played tough guys, but he was a generous gentle man who was admired by all who worked with him. And a fun guy to be around when the day's work was done.

He was a rock on the set. Always prepared, and always brought his A game. Two of my favorite roles of his were in The Postman, and Brother Where Art Thou? He was really good at it, and he made it look so easy. You never saw him acting. He was always absolutely real.

He moved to Los Angeles 5 years before I did. I had hoped to run into him at auditions, but I never did. He is an outstanding actor. So much good work in movies & TV. Check him out on IMDB. Very impressive.

I understand, old friend. They took one leg, and they were going to cut the toes off the other. You have no children, and you were living a difficult life. You were tired of it Daniel. I understand.

God speed. Know that you are well loved, and that those who love you will never try to judge your pain. We will look for you when you are feeling better. Rest now, Daniel.

Your G.I. Jane friend,

Ted Sutton

Anne

Pray for him now, and those close to him.

And please consider the power of words, positively and negatively, when you post.

ShellySunshine

Oh that is so sad :(
I hope he survives this ... This is just so incredibly sad..
Some of you are *******s. How can you make a joke about someone being in so much pain they try to kill themselves and then survive it. You insensitive *******s never cease to amaze me.

JP

That's awfully sad and sick that anyone would make jokes about this.

paul a.

one of my favorite character actors.....

Martin Sloan

"it's a sad and beautiful world..." (from Roberto Benigni in "Down By Law").

Martin Sloan

"it's a sad and beautiful world...." (from Roberto Benigni in "Down By Law").

CMoore

What is wrong with people? No compassion and the snide disgusting remarks that people are making is diplorable. This poor guy. Imagine if he were YOU, your father, brother, uncle, cousin or friend. SHAME! I pray he recovers and find the life he should have. SHAME SHAME SHAME.

hopeful

I hope Daniel is recovering. Am so sad for him. Illness is no fun to deal with and am sure he has gone through plenty. Have some pity for person. Get well Daniel.