'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25

Wizard

My heart is heavy listening to this. I feel very bad for him. Depression is so tough. Praying for you.

Dave

I've been paralyzed from the armpits down for over 35 years now after being shot while in the Marines. I was 18. In that time, I've seen literally thousands of other spinal cord injured vets dealing with their injuries, with everything from total quadriplegics to full recoveries. EVERYONE deals with serious injuries and illness in their own ways, and for some reason, it seems to me that older folks have a harder time with the changes such a life demands than younger folks. My guess, (and all anyone has is a guess since no one is inside his head,) is that von Bargen's suicide attempt was made in a MOMENT of desperation that, in the 20 mins between shooting himself and calling 911, passed and he realized that maybe life wasn't going to be all the bad he was thinking about when he pulled the trigger. Surviving something that should kill you can put your problems in a whole different light, especially when you start thinking of your loved ones.

Chuck44

Have there ever been any updates on his condition?

David M Kesinger

After being told my big toe could be saved by one team of doctors, another lone doctor came in and told me, Worse case scenario, you could lose the foot." I went from hopeful to super depressed. Certain doctors need to practice better "bedside manner."

luvdomus

He was super-creepy as a weird Evangelist/magician/cult leader in Lord of Illusions.

luvdomus

Wow, I really feel sorry for the guy. Hope he gets to a better place.

Previous 15 Comments | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25