'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

kim

SAD for ALL INVOLVED...

Todd

way not to bleep out the personal info like his sister's name and phone number TMZ...classy and professional all at once

Megadeth

Sad, hopefully he survives, losing his toes and possibly his leg to Diabetes may be horrible but there are prosthetics and other options even if the experience is traumatic.

muddbogger

this is so sad to hear him talk he sounds so upset and alone!

Arash

hope he gets better

LAWRENCE

Although I like to read TMZ I'm seriously considering stopping it. I didn't listen to the recording of this 911 call because I really don't want to hear it as it can't be any good. That said it's clear in their rush to post it they failed to take out the phone numbers which is horrifying and this is no different than swearing at the pallbearers at Whitney Houston's funeral to get out of the way so they could get better shots while carrying her coffin. I wish somebody would do some investigative work on Harvey, like some other website, like picutres of his male lovers or just something of substance and post it online and make a fool of him like he does to so many others. Glass houses folks.

bre

sad situations daily. we want to help at www.dentedego.com

Babycakes

Wow that is brutal. 51 is not that old and he sounds in bad shape. One leg gone about to lose the other and now maybe blinded himself. If he survives hope he can find peace with the situation and a way to move on and be happy.

Dan

You guys need to bleep out his sister's phone number.

Splash

So very sad. And I was horrifed at the dispatcher's use of the phrase "off the top of your head". I know it was an honest mistake, but I literally, physically flinched. Prayers for him and his family.

ARTOFWAR

...So let me get this correct--- the man is on the bed with a bullet in his head, blind, one legged, and bleeding profusely---- and the police come barreling into the bedroom asking if there are any other guns in the house???

I mean what did they think the guy was going to do--- jump up, run to the closet, grab an AK-47 and opened fire on their behinds???

Cops are supposed to be such macho men, but the mere mention of a gun makes them wet their pants....Artofwar

I Was About To Say

For those of you who make comments about what type of bullet or gun to use, you are heartless. You don't know what this guy has been going through, you dont live his life or deal with his depressions. Would you be this insensitive if it were your family member, likely not. Let's hope that your future doesn't drive you to depression and you find yourself feeling like he does.

SSinOC

You can probably pin his desperation on the meds? Tragic situation.

Mc752

What an invasion of privacy! The 911 call should not have been released to the public. Leave the man alone, he obviously needs a mental evaluation if he makes it through this.

squeakermama

Dispatcher asks: Do you know her number off the top of your head? HE DID NOT! Geesh.