'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

I'm not going to click that link!

F*ck you, Harvey Levin, you sad caricature of a human being!

Bill G

Poor desperate man, I hope things turn out as well as they can be.

Kim

I know him more as Comandant Spengler from Malcolm in the Middle, where he ironically is missing a hand. So sad for someone to be that depressed. Hopefully he can recover.

Tommyg

Very sad. I was a little surprised when the dispatcher asked if he knew his sister's phone number "off the top of your head"

Mulholland Drive

very sad.

Chuck

I remember Dan from High School. Back then he was an incredibly talented young man. I watched and enjoyed his career and was pleased he was doing well. I saw him a few times at class reunions. He is a true gentleman. I wish him well and hope he makes a complete recovery.

mike

temple is bad idea now is blind and alive, next time one inch further back and forget 911, anyway poor guy.

debbiedoesnothing

Mr. von Bargen, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I understand better than you could possibly know. I'm also sorry for all the idiots on here making cruel, stupid, and tasteless comments. I wish you the very best.

tucker

That's the saddest thing I ever heard. I feel sick for listening to it. Poor man. I hope he finds happiness and peace, one way or the other.

Kaaka

When you CAN'T get SUICIDE right , you got to know his LIFE truly SUCKS , Might i suggest next time he tries cyanide in GRAPE flavor kool-aid Jim Jones style; That's always a CROWD PLEASER.

()^()

ray

gotta wonder bout a guy who shoots himself in the head and misses

LisaL

Ugh... that is heartbreaking to listen to. I really hope he gets the help he needs.

Bex

how freaking retarded r u 2 FAIL at shooting urself n the head? maybe he should of poped a ton of pills n taken a bath with a gravy dish ... i hear that works.

Reeks

So heartbroken. You can feel the pain in his voice. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Lake

Great writing "your own discretion." As if I could use someone else's.

jeez, if you shoot yourself and are still talking, don't call for help, just shoot again!