« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Andre Agassi Prep School

Allegations of Racism

2/23/2012 4:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Andre Agassi College Prep Academy
The Nevada prep school named after and founded by Andre Agassi has been sued by a former biology teacher who claims he was treated like crap and FIRED because he's black.

TMZ has obtained the lawsuit filed by James Holmes Jr. -- who claims he was hired to teach 9th and 10th grade biology at Andre Agassi College Prep Academy in 2005.

According to his suit, things went smoothly for the next 3 years ... until the school hired a new principal in 2008 ... who allegedly favored white teachers.

James claims the principal refused to let him travel to a science conference ... blaming it on budget restraints. But James claims he later discovered the school head DID have funds reserved for other teachers who wanted to attend conferences ... and they all happened to be white.

James also claims the principal denied his request for new lab materials due to budget restraints ... only to find out the lab materials were ordered for two white teachers instead.

According to the suit, James says he filed a complaint with the school ... but officials retaliated by firing his ass and replacing him with a substitute elementary school teacher who wasn't certified to teach science courses.

James is demanding at least $75k in damages. Andre is not personally named in the suit.

A rep for the Academy tells us, "We will aggressively defend the suit because the case is baseless and without any merit."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Kayla

Black people are so quick to cry racism over every ****ing thing, especially when the world is handed to them on a silver ****ing platter. You can have ****ty grades and get into college and get a free ride because your black. Affirmative action means your guaranteed a job even if you're not the most qualified for it. You can have six illegitimate bastards and our tax dollars will support you for life. They should be grateful white folks work every day to support their lazy asses.

Blk guy who probably works w/ you

Attention all racist a$$holes that post on the internet: the black people you see on TV and the one(s) you may have met in your everyday life do not represent a whole race of people in this country or around the world. Like all races we have people who have questionable morals, negative mindset, and live a deviant lifestyle. We also have people who are productive citizens, honest and generally positive forces in the community. It's quite telling when you claim that -GENERIC RACIAL TYPE- are using the race-card and in the next sentence, you make a racially charged, blanket statement about the same people. Re: the subject above I have no real opinion as I don't know much about the case - Let the courts decide who is at fault.

Bellaca

All the white people posting on this thread has proved is that they ARE racist.

llulua

He was probably hired because he was black but fired because he was no good at the job.

Reminds me of Obama's future outcome.

wow

Wow. Judging by most comments here, Americans are super racists. I tend to believe this man. I've been in the work force over 30 years and I've seen it all. Even here in Canada subtle and not so subtle racism happen in workplaces everyday. I've seen people quit or move to other departments when a problematic new manager arrive. By the sounds of it this teacher was doing well until the new principal came. People need to respect each other and their differences.
Recently I've seen young people on their first job and older workers who are disliked by co-workers, supervisors or managers dismissed at the first opportunity and it didn't matter what color they were. Just goes to show it can happen to anyone so people need to get real. Life is a learning lesson and sooner or later you'll get one too. Just hope you don't get back the same empathy you give out.

Truth

This is so old! Wish every time I didn't get my way I could blame it on my race. To bad I have more respect for myself!

SEAN

every time a black person dont get his way he starts yelling racism black people need to get over the racism **** slavery ended how long ago now

Angela LuvLyfe

The hate that goes on this comment section is hilarious< but I wish that you guys would focus more on your teenaged future serial killers, mass murderers, meth smokers, and every other sterotype I can make about a caucasian. Ignorance is bliss, and there are a lot of people that hide behind the keyboards, and say things that you would not be able to pay them a million bucks to say in person!

AGASSI STUDENT

GO MR. HOLMES ALL NOW ALL OF AGASSI'S PROBLEMS WILL BE BROUGHT TO LIGHT. THEY WILL NOW BE FORCED TO CORRECT ALL THE WRONG THEY HAVE BEEN DOING TO STUDENT AND TEACHERS. HAVING STUDENTS PRETEND THAT EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS RIGHT ABOUT THIS SCHOOL.

melanie

This school does have race problems and teacher issues! i have been to that school so much in regards to my daughter being bullied by elementary teacher they sent me a letter requesting i do not come on campus unless approved! The teacher told my daughter grandma she cant come in the classroon anymore like she was intimidated! its not the whole school and not Agassi hisself but yes there are quite a few teachers @ this school with serious race issues and issues altogether! the teacher that was giving my daughter a hard time eventually quit and she was white! She would say and do things no teacher should in a classroom honestly so i agree with this lawsuit! and gues what my mom is white and my dad is black so its not that im sticking up for black just sticking by the truth!

NY'er

Why is it ALWAYS a race issue when a white guy fires a black guy. Truth is you probably sucked at your job, (like most people who get canned) and thats why you got the boot. Come on already, get over yourself!!

michelle

Wow..they are so prejudiced at this school that most of the students are minorities! The schools were built by Andre's charitable foundation to help children. He built these schools and this charity because he cares. Every picture I have seen is him and mainly black and hispanic children. Why would you start an organization based on helping to achieve equality and then fire someone based on racism? I call bullsh*t on this teacher!

Vonarie

Did you ever think that educational budgets are a little more complicated than you might think? When a black person gets fired and imnmediately says it's racism, it only furthers racism. Did you ever think you got fired because you were a bad teacher? Oh no, it had to be because you are black, right? It's getting to the point where people will be afraid to hire black people because if they are later fired, they'll scream racism. Please - so lame.

Jess

Wow. Race card? Racist are so sad. Yes, some PEOPLE black, white, Asian, hispanic, etc.... claim racial slander when there is none but MOST of the time there are racist incidents. Most people play the "cards" they're delt. These comments are disgusting. Generalize much. Why do some of you say "blacks" as if they're all the same. Are "whites" all the same? Are all whites serial killer, rapist, who live in trailor parks sleeping with there sister while doing meth in the back of a pick truck all while eating a mayo and bologna sandwich? No we're not. Sounds dumb, ignorant, stupid, and racist huh? We are all God's children and you who make these disgusting racist post will have to stand before Him in judgement. Disgusting filthy racist comments have no place in 2012. Im white and some people in my own race sicken me.Obama 2012.... Smile at that racist

MELL

If people actually knew what really went on, they would not comment. As someone who was there when all of this occurred, I can speak. I don't know if recism is accurate, but she definitely has something against Mr. Homles. It was very obvious!!!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments