'Berenstain Bears' Creator

Dead at 88

2/27/2012 8:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jan Berenstain died Friday at 88-years-old after suffering a stroke
Children's book legend Jan Berenstain -- who co-created the Berenstain Bears -- died Friday at 88-years-old after suffering a stroke ... this according to her family.

Jan and her husband Stan Berenstain created the Bear family -- Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Brother Bear and Sister Bear -- back in 1962 ... when they published their first book, "The Big Honey Hunt."

Since then, they fired out more than 300 stories.

According to Jan's son, Jan suffered a severe stroke on Thursday and died the following day.

Stan died back in 2005 at the age of 82.

They are survived by their sons and four grandchildren.

Diana

Loved to read those books to my girls when they were small. I still have them and will keep them for their children. Great Children's Author.

Travis

The next book will be titled "Bernstein Bears, Where To Bury Mom"

Michael Schell

The news saddens me more than words can aptly express. I remember the books fondly. My own mother has given some of her books to my niece and nephew to enjoy, especially one of my favorites: The Spooky Old Tree. But the young protagonists dovetailed with myself and my two siblings and probably helped me into the furry community with their world. If there is a heaven, Mrs. Berenstein is one lady who have certainly earned a place there, her and her husband.

jxtr

I loved those Berenstain Bear books and videos.

Regina

Sad to hear this. I think we all read a Berenstien Bear book once. My nephew still reads them, he's 7 and he loves them. Good moral lesson and very wholesome. I'm glad that the books will be around a long long time for other generations to read.

charles

R.I.P. Jan

Just My Thoughts

RIP and thanks for the wonderful memories I have of my kids when they were little!

aB*

I remember these books from my childhood.. some of them were my favs! God bless her family and may she r.i.p.

just my opinion

=( I learned to read with those books. Those stories brought a lot of happiness to my childhood. RIP Miss Berenstain!

kenedie

omg :( i watched this growing up and im 14 now, i can still remember almost every episode i watched :/ heck! i would still watch it now :P <3 rest in paradise !

julia

My now 27 year old son, who has a 4 yrd old, loved The Bernstein books series. We still have them today and his sister,, who's 7 still reads his old books. I was saddend to see she passed away. RIP~ Thank you for being a wonderful cauthor.

bring back recent posts

....this couple were right up there with Dr.Suess...I hope her son keeps this awesome set of stories going....they truly are a world treasure when the art of writing and drawing are doing down the drain with technology..kids still need too READ and experience flipping pages and looking at pictures they can combine with a story..without a fricken mouse!!!!!

Billy Bob

Oh my, I grew up on these stories and for many of us, they were the first black bear family in our homes.

Judy

I loved reading her books with my daughter -- I don't know if we had all of them but we had quite a few -- every time my daughter had money she bought a new one.

Jolene Myers

Wonderful stories. I have a orignal autographed book from them. I will always keep it forever. I loved growing up with they stories as my kids continue to read there wonderful messages :) RIP

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments