Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

elizabeth cohen

Davy Jones was my youth. He was the the image of every guy I wanted to kiss. I am so very sad today. I love you Davy, rest in peace.

jojo

The Monkees are loved by my generation. We looked forward every week to their new show. He will be missed by my friends and we send him off with love and kisses. Thanks for the memories Davey! XOXO

LittleDove

Rest in peace Davey, thanks for the memories, you'll be missed. I remember I was so in LOVE with you.would watch anything that had you in it.I am truly sadden by this.

Kelly S

RIP <3 I loved The Monkees growing up - am so sorry to hear this.....

Brenda

My daughter just called me with the sad news of Davey's passing.:( Rest In Peace Davey,you will be missed.

I used to enjoy watching the television show in the 60's..what fun,even if the show was silly.

CelebJustice

Awww.... My childhood crush. So sorry to hear this. RIP Davy.

p.s. Marsha must be crushed!

georgechevrolet

I used to watch the Monkees on TV when I was a little kid. Loved that red GTO they had. Such a shame and only 66 years old. Another part of my childhood lost. Godspeed Davy and thanks!

UPYOURS

RIP

gurlyclimber

Wow. What a bummer. When they had their comeback in the 80s I saw them in concert and petitioned a local TV station to get their show back on the air. He was my favorite. This is very sad.

lucy

So sad. He was my teen crush.

Jane

Wow, this is incredibly sad. I always watched The Monkees and Davy was the CUTEST! So sorry to hear this sad news. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. So, so sad!

Dean Brown

Rest in peace Davey. Loved all the Monkees back in the day.

TC Spriggs

Rest in Peace, Davy Jones..You and your work will live forever.

judy

wonderful talent and person. Rip. So sorry for the family

Ken

As a kid Iwatched every Monkee Show I feel I have lost an important part of my life .My prayers are with his family,Friends and Fans