Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Shannon

It's the last train to Clarksdale - RIP Davy

Mulholland Drive

R.I.P.

namers

This is sooo sad for this baby boomer who still has her letter w/picture from the Monkees fan club.

My condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P. My dear Davey.

Wishbone

Like the other women on here, I had a crush on this guy when I was a little girl. Rest in peace Davy Jones.

anne

aw. so sad.
Marcia: "I'll NEVER wash this cheek again!"

wildwood

OMG! This news just ripped away another part of my past. Rest In Peace, Davy!

barb

RIP Davy. You've been an influence on me since I was a little kid. Sad day...

Fat Mike

Con-dolenz to Micky and the rest of the band

Cindy O

OMG, this is really a sad day. I grew up loving, watching and listening to a LOT of Monkees. R.I.P. Davy Jones. So many will miss you. :(

former cop

RIP Davy, heaven is a merrier place today

Tony W

Sad sad sad....he was one of the first celebrities I ever saw in person as a kid. So so sad. Daydream Believer...Marcia Brady's crush...sad sad sad

Llee

It never fails. When a celeb dies someone is sure to say or ask. Were they on drugs. Give it a rest.

surfer john

i was there,watching every saturday morning.that was i dum,
but fun show.. too bad.

richardtz

Im now officialy old.. He was my first crush also..And i didnt even think i was gay!!!

Stevens

Thanks for the wonderful music. You made my life better.