Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Terrie

He was my favorite of the Monkees band. I along with every girl in America had a crush on him... sorry that he passed.

JD

I'm so very sorry to hear of Davy Jones' passing. I loved the Monkees and have several of their albums from when I was a kid. Of course, Davy was the one we all had crushes on. I got to meet him briefly and get his autograph when I was in college. Still have it somewhere. I just bought a new record player, so I'll be pulling out my Monkee albums to listen to..."Cheer up sleepy Jean..."

RobinPickles

Davy Jones...I can't believe it...an amazing performer, a stand up guy...my friends and I had some of the best times of our lives following the Monkees on tour for most of our lives... you were a good man Davy, and always kind...Rest in Peace....

wildwood

OMG!! This news just ripped away another part of my past...REST IN PEACE, DAVY!!

Sam

My first concert was to see the Monkeys when I was 12 years old. May you rest in peace, you were loved my many girls through the years.

eric klein

IM COMPLETELY SHOCKED OVER DAVEY'S DEATH

tinsen64

Soooo sad. My condolences to his family. He was my "first love" as a young girl watching The Monkees and I never stopped loving him. To this day I would have wanted to meet him if given the chance. He will be missed by so many.

Tracy

I lived for Monkees repeats on after school TV when I was a kid. So very sad. :(

Sue

RIP Davey! To the family,friends,& fans,my deepest condolences.His talent will be greatly missed.

Ray

RIP, you brought alot of joy to this world!

Bettie Lee

I had so many pictures of him on my wall. I watched the monkeys, every Sat. I was a "Daydream Believer". May he RIP!

Bailey

Condolences to the family.

Stevens

YOU MADE MY LIFE BETTER.

northern gypsy

wow...i'm shocked...if i had to pick which one...my choice would have been micky dolenz !!! by all accounts D.J. lived a decent life unlike M.D. r.i.p. D.J. (the cute one)

Cynthia

Oh Davy!!! I am so so sad I am trying not to cry. I grew up with the Monkees. They were my favorite. :(