Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

DeborahLM

How sad! He seemed like a good guy...and very talented. RIP. Condolences to family and friends.

ann

oh nooo. my first crush. i am soooo upset.

Attalina

Rest in peace, Davy Jones.

OregonLady

Part of my childhood has died today. I'm sure Marcia Brady is heartbroken. Davy Jones...may his memory remain eternal.

paul schneider

RIP Davey, condolences to family & friends. We met at the hotel New Japan in Tokyo circa 68. Great guy, will be missed by all.

Donna Ditto

RIP Davy....you were always my fav Monkee when I was a Teenager, many years ago. My prayers go out to your family!

Mark Alexander

What a real shame, the guy had a great voice he was a great person too, R.I.P sir, you were taken far too soon

Raejean

One of his favorite jokes in his solo act was to say he used to be a heart-throb, nowadays he's a coronary.

A good but not perfect man who'd been screwed over financially but lived life like a normal person. Still loved his horses and enjoyed his neighbors at his main place in Pennsylvania. Finally found personal happiness with a beautiful younger wife who adored him. I'll hope she'll complete his Monkees museum project there.

I'm so sorry to see him go. Always looked forward to one more "Monkees Reunion," you know?

Leslie

He was my Daydream Believer. God Bless.

Marta

You will also be missed. all the good ones are leaving. Going to sing in that great choir in the sky. I guess Father in heaven needs them more.. :(( R.I.P Davy

Chuck D of Valpo

I was just 14 when they came upon the scene. Before Davy Jones joined the Monkeys, he was a jockey over in England. RIP

peggi

no one could say hey hey we're the monkees like davy. my most sincere sympathy to his family. his music will live forever.

Lyn Heaney

So Sad, one of my all time favorites... my first big crush R.I.P. Davy Jones you are loved

writenow

Wow. Too bad. Puts more pressure on the remaining guys. Hi Peter! I knew you in Marin years ago.

jetlew

TMZ you could have put a better picture up then that