Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

eileen

He was one of the nicest people. I met him in Philadelphia. He came up to me and my friends and just started talking to us.I never even thought of getting him to autograph or take a pic. O did not want to bug him but he sang a song at this Tavern on frankford avenue. He sat and had a drink with us.

slivers36

Condolences to the family

Donna

Shocked! He was my favorite Monkee, always seemed like such a nice person! Sympathy to his family. He will be missed.

Lisa Brown

I can't believe it! I knew it would happen someday to one of them, but it still breaks my heart! Like losing a lifelong friend. Saw him with Micky and Peter last year..Best show ever.Thanks for the smiles, Davy!

Christi

OMG! I feel so old. He was my first crush. It's surreal.

david

I in 3rd grade their were 4 of us close buddies that used to sing along with all those great records and we'd wear striped pants and paisley shirts to school and model ourselves after the Monkees. Each guy tried to dress and wear their hair like one of the Monkees. I was Davey.

Derwood

I'm guessing (nay, hoping) that Xanax, alcohol, and gravy dishes were not involved.

Tookie Topbox

You were the best Davy and we all LOVE the Monkees.
R.I.P. my friend.

Glenda

So Sad. Day Dream Believer and a Homecoming Queen.....Had his poster on my wall in the day.

frrrfddd

So sad to hear in a day when you are a star for geting drunk and being a sl@t he had talent and could sing it's sad he was not that old tell your parent's you love them you never know how long you will have them till it's to late

Linda

I am really going to miss this fine young man of MY generation! Another day "the music died," the "happy" music!

carol

Sorry to hear about Davy. I like the Monkees R.I.P

Doug Smith

We saw him last winter in Las Vegas and sat front / center in a small theater. He was a great performer / comedian and we thoroughly enjoyed his show. We are sorry for his passing at such a young age.

IL DUCE

I guess he finally took that last train to Clarkson!

NickSunset

That's too bad. I was hoping for a new record and tour LOL!!! That much younger hotter wife is now rich lets seee I think I need to visit Beverly Hills today and check up on her.