Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

Gambler66

Who cares about this White monkey dying? R.I.P. Whitney. I care more about Whitney's death than this white boy.

cheryl

He will be missed. I grew up watching them.Loved Davy Jones

Stella

Rest in Peace Davy. You were awesome til the end.

Ruby Covert

Sorry for the loss of Davy Jones,he was one of akind.Loved their music.He was exceptional.Great performer along with his band.His music will live on.,hopefully foreever.One of my favorites ,through my life....

GnXGrl

RIP Davy. I loved watching The Monkees in the 80's when they ran reruns of the show. Couldn't you have found a better photo, TMZ?

Zahrahbliss

I was so shocked to hear about Davy Jone's passing. I grew up listening to the music and watching The Monkee's TV show and I own the DVDs. Saw Davy, Mickey and Peter in concert in the mid-90's in Poughkeepsie and had a wonderful time! RIP Davy. See ya on the other side.

Denise Cammarano

Bet he went to rock n' roll heaven...I hear they have a hell of a band.

paulinebourque

RIP DAVY JONES YOUR GONNA BE MISS YOU WERE A GOOD SINGER AND GOOD LOOKING MAN .MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIS FAMILLY

David DRAKE jR

i have been crying deep inside of my heart davey was my favoret monkey but i loved the whole group i feel for his family and his wife he want to early in life he was very kind and loving just like the rest of the Monkeys i will miss him just like the rest of the monkeys and family

C Zgliczynski

That's REALLY sad!! He was way too young, and young at heart.
Never heard he was into the drug scene. Unfair that Stones rockers who look like they've been dead for 20 years have out lived this super nice guy.

kaye smith

davy jones was my favoret af all the monkeys i always thought he was so cute and loved his voice i will miss him he was fantastic in all he did

Tina

Been watching YouTube videos with Davy. I was most struck by that huge smile and the twinkle he always had in his eyes. He had that all throughout his career. The man just radiated happiness. You cannot watch The Monkees and not laugh or at least end up smiling. Listen to Daydream Believer and you will positively be happy. Thanks for all the memories, Davy. A piece of childhood IS gone. Love to his family and friends.

Brenda

Another popular Icon meets his maker. I remember seeing Davey in person down in Orlando performing he had just anounced he was to become a grandfather + he was beaming.
God bless you Davey + thanx for all your musical memories!!! Especially Day Dream Believer + i loved watching the Monkey movies on Saturdays it brought such comfort when i was a much younger kid.

virginia flores

i want to say that god bless davy jones for the good music i like him so much love gina

Sumyung Gui

"together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits -- "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."????? They didn't even write their own music.

Previous 15 Comments | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments