'American Idol' Contestant

Shovels B.S.

To Get Sympathy Vote

3/13/2012 12:36 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jermaine Jones
Jermaine Jones
-- the 6'8" gentle giant on "American Idol" -- has big problems with the truth, because he fabricated a sob story to "A.I." producers to win the hearts and minds of the American people.

"A.I." sources told TMZ ... last week, after appearing on the show ... Jermaine came to them and said his dad called him from out of the blue, claiming pops abandoned him and his mom 10 years ago.  Jermaine told producers he was extremely upset that his dad suddenly reappeared in his life now that he was famous and potentially rich. Jermaine said his dad was "a lousy father" and wanted nothing to do with him.

Well TMZ spoke with Jermaine's dad, Kevin Jones, who says the sob story is absurd  -- that he has had an ongoing relationship with the young man through the years and even had dinner with him on both Wednesday and Thursday night of last week.

Kevin also says his son was not telling the truth about getting a phone call from out of the blue -- Kevin says he was actually in the audience last week supporting his child.

We spoke with production people on "Idol" who tell us they are "shocked" Jermaine concocted the story and it seems like it was all a ploy to get some traction on the show.

We could not reach Jermaine for comment.

Little Ricky on "I Love Lucy"

'Memba Him?!

0110_welcome_ricky_memba_launchKeith Thibodeaux became famous for playing Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz's son, Little Ricky, on the classic '50s TV series "I Love Lucy." Guess what he looks like now!

Daylight Savings Time

STARS LOOKIN' SLEEPY!

0309_sleepy_launchAs the world springs their clocks forward an hour this week, check out which stars look like they are feelin' the effects of losing the extra snooze time!

Dueling Dresses

Who's More Stylish?

0313_welcome_dash_launch

Kendall Jenner raided her sister Kim Kardashian's closet last night for the premiere of "The Hunger Games" -- wearing a dress Kim wore back in 2010.

But who wore it better? See more fashionistas who've donned the same dress as somebody else above and vote for the more stylish star!

Donald Trump's Sons

Ignite War

Over Animal Butchery

0312_trump_hunting_launch_EX_v3
Donald Trump
's two sons went on a big game hunt in Africa, and the carnage they wrought has triggered outrage by wildlife enthusiasts.

Donald's sons -- Donald Jr. and Eric -- went on a hunting safari in Zimbabwe a year ago this month, and proudly showed off their trophy kills -- including an elephant, crocodile, kudu, civet cat and water buck.

In one shot, Donald Jr. is holding a dead elephant's tail in one hand and a knife which appears to have cut off the tail in another.

A wildlife enthusiast's website has just created a YouTube video of the slaughter expressing outrage.

As for Donald Trump, he tells TMZ, "My sons love hunting. They're hunters and they've become good at it.  I am not a believer in hunting and I'm surprised they like it."

Trump added, "I know that anything they did was 100% OK in terms of the hunting community."

"Bachelor" & "Bachelorette"

Couples Then & Now!

0313_welcome_bach2_launch

Ben Flajnik popped the question to Courtney Robertson on last night's season finale of "The Bachelor" -- but will they make it?

Check out all 24 couples from all the previous seasons of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" and find out if any of them are still together.

"The Hunger Games"

Jennifer & Miley Show Skin

At Premiere!

0313_welcome_hunger_launch

The red carpet for the premiere of "The Hunger Games" was jam-packed with stars last night in L.A. -- where Jennifer Lawrence and Miley Cyrus showed some serious skin.

See their premiere looks, plus shots of Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Elizabeth Banks and more!

Paula

If his Dad knew these were lies, he would have come forward weeks ago when it first aired. And/or, if he really had a relationship with his child, he would have gone along with it to help give his kid a boost. I think Dad is full of crapola.

Gerry

Imagine that, someone in the entertainment business telling a lie. WOW it's hard to believe. Seem like a trend in the industry to me!!

carolyn

they should give Jermainie Shovel the BOOT he lied, plus he couldn't sing

J Etter

Hes a horrible singer anyways. Sounds too monotone to me

Red

Looks like he figured out the formula for all these reality show success stories, especially American Idol. If you don't have a heart touching past you won't be able to reach the audience and get the votes. That's why really good singers who made it past auditions sometimes don't get very far once the competition begins.

JS

F... discusting, I would love to cut this Trump his Tail off. SLOOOOOOOWLY !

Bob

He is no American Idol...I dont see how he ever made the show..He could sing karaoke..

Bill

I always record Idol, X Factor, the Voice so that I can fast forward through all of the B.S.

lance

Idol needs drama to get ratings.The show has been going down hill for years now.As far as I'm concerned it should be taken off the air.It has turned to crap

Rosalyn

AI is a worthless show. They get all the low class Ghetto
as the one who gave such a bs story about his father. Ghetto crap ...the show is not worth watching anyway.

Barbara

Goodness! I can not beleive that. I really do not pay attention to thier life stories because I do not want to feel sorry for anyone and vote the wrong way .

Lissa

Looks like the big bad hunter suffers from "little man complex"! Anyone that would think that a sport, should have the tables turned on them and feel the fear that those poor creatures felt!!!

Squeeks910

I'm not surprised at all with Jermaine. American Idol had fraud the first season with the twin African American men. I can only imagine how many other fraugulent ones we don't know about. Perhaps better screening needs to be done by the American Idol crew. Next you will see Jermaine get free counseling by Dr. Phil on how to become an anti fraud person. His mother is in deep with this also.

OLGA

WHO GIVE'S A RATS ASS IF BULLS**T AND TEARS IS WHAT GETS YOU THREW SO BE IT. I BET THAT'S HOW THE JUDGES GOT THERE START...... who r u ppls to judge U GO BIG FOOT!!!!!!

Larry

Not buying a lot of the "sob" stories. I'm not surprized someone finally got busted by lying and telling a sad, B.S. story to gain sympathy from the judges. Maybe the show should do some "fact checking" before allowing every Tom, **** and Mary on the stage.