Jeremy Renner

My Puppy Tragically Died

3/14/2012 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jeremy Renners 8-month-old puppy Franklin dropped dead on a baseball field.Jeremy Renner suffered a devastating loss last weekend, after his 8-month-old puppy Franklin dropped dead on a baseball field.

Jeremy's friend and business partner Kristoffer Winters was dogsitting the French bulldog last Saturday in Orange County -- and decided to take it to his nephew's little league baseball game.

We're told the dog was running around the field having fun on a very hot day -- near 80 degrees.  Then, at around 2 PM, the pup began to vomit and convulse. Kris -- who had left to get a snack -- returned to find Jeremy's dog dead in a woman's arms.

We're told 3 people tried to give the dog mouth-to-mouth to revive the pooch -- to no avail.

French bulldogs notoriously suffer from heart problems, which could be exacerbated by heat.

We're told Jeremy and Franklin were EXTREMELY close and he's grief-stricken.

Suan

OMG this Frenchie died from heat stroke. NO Question!! That is so wrong!

lordy

is it too late to hold jeremy to soothe his pain?

Mary

Brachycephalic breed such as pugs, frenchie, and english bulldogs should never be left outside or allowed to play hard in warm weather. stupid, stupid people, I hate seeing frenchie get popular because uneducated morons adopt them without realizing the breed has health concerns. shame on them for not doing there homework. if you want a dog that play hard get a terrier, a lab, or a retriever.

debbik

French Bulldogs are NOT predisposed to heart problems. However, they are a brachycephalic (flat-faced) breed and cannot run around for long periods of time on a hot day. I feel awful for all concerned....but do not buy a dog without researching the breed and the breeder first.Never buy dogs over the Internet or from pet stores. If you want a purebred dog, do your homework and get one from a reputable breeder.

LC

Next time dont get a puppy mill dog. Adopt. Those dogs are strong!

John

The dog might have been a result of over breeding by the breeder.

Hunter

What is sad is that he didn't investigate the breed. They have very small noses which makes it hard for them to breath. letting them over -run on a hot day, he should have known its a bad idea.

Ko

Aww as a dog owner, this story made me so sad. RIP in doggy heaven franklin

shugs

This just makes me angry. French bulldogs have VERY short respiratory systems, and are extremely prone to heat stroke because of it, much more so than other dogs. You do NOT take a Frenchie out to a baseball game in 80 degree weather for 3 hours! It may sound cruel to say, but Jeremy's friend and business partner basically killed his dog.

LHS

Very sad! But, near 80 degrees is NOT a very hot day. That is actually quite mild. Definitely not hot enough to kill a puppy. Unless the guy was neglecting it and leaving him without water, in which case, I would tend to believe it was the dehydration rather than the heat.

Onalee

I lost my English Bull the same way. He was running around our back yard trying to catch butterflys, when he dropped dead. The vet said a lot of English Bulls are born with bum tickers. I guess my fella was yet another statistic. Buddy was not even a year of age, we got him at 14 weeks and all seemed fine. WoW, we sure miss the little dude!!!!! Still more sadness with Franklin, so far time is not healing our loss. We lost Buddy last April 18th!!!

tridiv

Pups, like all living things need water... Rest in peace, little cutie.

Ted Allen

Some friend. He was off getting himself a snack and the dog was left out in the heat - probably without a drop of water.

tucker

I own a Frenchie and I know how sensitive to heat they are. I also know what wonderful, fun and loving dogs they are. My deepest condolences to Jeremy. I can't imagine losing my boy. Rest in peace sweet Franklin.

TKfitnessLA

Aw. My french bulldog puppy just made 8 months last weekend too; I could not imagine losing my little girl. Poor puppy. I just had to stop reading the comments here because most are ignorant and mean spirited. It was an accident people. Hopefully everyone learned a little about this special breed...Jeremy: Condolences. You can hang with my puppy till you feel better...