'Kony 2012' Honcho

Detained for Allegedly

Masturbating in Public

3/16/2012 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jason Russell

update_bar
3:26 PM PST: We just got footage
of Jason's naked meltdown on a public street ... pounding his fists in anger and screaming maniacally.

2:15 PM PST: Law enforcement sources tell us ... there are NO plans to charge Russell with a crime for yesterday's incident.

2:08 PM PST:
Law enforcement sources tell us ... Russell is being hospitalized on a 5150 psychiatric hold so authorities can assess his mental state. The 5150 hold allows authorities to keep Russell for up to 3 days to determine if he represents a threat to either himself or others.

1:45 PM PST:

The statement continues, "He is now receiving medical care and is focused on getting better. The past two weeks have taken a severe emotional toll on all of us, Jason especially, and that toll manifested itself in an unfortunate incident yesterday."

"Jason’s passion and his work have done so much to help so many, and we are devastated to see him dealing with this personal health issue. We will always love and support Jason, and we ask that you give his entire family privacy during this difficult time.”

Jason Russell was detained, not arrested by San Diego cops
The mastermind behind the now-famous "Kony 2012" video was detained by police in San Diego yesterday for allegedly being drunk in public and masturbating.

0316_jason_russell_cop_car_ex_wm_tmz
Jason Russell was taken into custody by San Diego cops.  In addition to allegedly masturbating, cops say he vandalized cars.

Cops told NBC7 in SD they received several calls around 11:30 AM ... reporting a man in "various stages of undress."

Sources tell us ... Russell was dancing around the Intersection of Ingraham and Riviera wearing "speedo-like underwear" ... and eventually removed the underwear and began to make sexual gestures.

We're told ... it appeared Russell was under the influence of some kind of substance.

Cops told NBC, "Officers detained [Russell] and transferred him to a local medical facility for further evaluation and treatment."

Russell is the father of two, and says he wants to have 9 more kids.

Russell is the co-founder of Invisible Children as well as the filmmaker of the ultra-viral video which has set records on the Internet -- with more than 80 million views (below).

Sheree

Anyone with teeth that white can't be normal

spike

Maybe the donations started drying up..... and he had to kick it up a notch... Sex sells ya know...

L

I hope that this is him feeling guilty for the evil & lies he is doing to the people of Uganda.

SpecialK

It might be just another way to gets people attention... Like the Kardashians, he might just be a marketing genius. Some of the sites I saw reporting the news were also reporting the Kony video right at the end of the article.

Pooks

I don't understand how dehydration and all that other **** has to do with him wanking off in public. That's just nasty.

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

So Mr "Kony" video is whacking the bony in the weeds huh? Another sick leftist without any freaking morality apparently who's trying to do what liberals do, be the next sensation on Bill Maher making a living doing absolutely nothing but spewing hatred, the only hatred allowed nowadays, towards conservatives Jews and Christians. Without the right to 'mock' most of these talentless junkies and mo's have ZERO ZILCH material, and how hard is it to make an drunken and stoned Bill Maher audience whip up some good ol' fashioned hated against their fellow Americans, and this from the hater c u n t s who preach tolerance MIND YOU, as long as it's their people being tolerated. They can all kiss my azzz after sucking ON THIS for a while ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ; )

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

I like this part too!!!!..."1:45 PM PST: The CEO of Invisible Children, Ben Keesey, tells TMZ ..."Jason Russell was unfortunately hospitalized yesterday suffering from exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition."" Oh so yanking his crank is gonna make him not hungry??? What is he, harvesting sppooooge for nourishment in his canteen? I know when I get tired I whip it out and start yanking my crank at the Bus stop or what have you huh? @eyesroll@ lololol....there's no excuse, he saw some mo he was getting a woody over and jumped in the weeds like an animal to gratify himself. Mystery solved...doh...George Michaels anyone? Same thing different mo

Jay

Another "MethHead" exposed.....

Jessofclouds

I would go crazy like this too if some stupid ****ing kids who know NOTHING about the situation going on across the ocean were trying to discredit myself and 10 years of my hard work, blood, sweat and tears because they wikipedia'd Ugandan Army and now think they know everything about the subject.

Raccoon Willie

TMZ has video of Jason Russell completely nude and going bat **** crazy, why aren't they featuring it on here?

karla

We forget when people make a stand, that the Bigger people make them fall. I say he was drugged and drivin crazy, like Michael Jackson, Brittney Spears, Dave Chapelle, ect.... I don't buy it.. I knew they were gonna get him... even when Ray 's "danger" tried to get tough, what happend.. she was seen acting delirous.. people, illuminati is watchin.

DT

This is a PR stunt, it brings attention to this case, it sure did for me and probably a lot of those who read about this "scandal".

It's a small sacrifice for him considering how many more now knows about Kony2012.

I like his way of thinking ;D

Elinor

Repost:
From "most" of the comments I have read .. I am horrified that no one has shown even one ounce of compassion for this man. How can people be so judgmental, narrow-minded .. as to even think for a moment you have any idea what this man has gone through & what brought him to this point. ALL of YOU ( they one's I am referring to ) should be ashamed of yourselves ... Wake the hell up, where the heck is Your compassion for other human beings, such as yourself for example ????? May you never find yourself in such a place, so lost & exhausted that your body breaks down, malfunctioning to the point of utter confusion. I do not believe for a moment he was masturbating... I do not trust the media once so ever. They have no problem labeling someone who is suffering, merely because they are misunderstood. Jason is merely a man ... as frail as You & I ... There but for the Grace of God Go I ... Hope this never happens to you ... You will remember Jason .. And so many others that have become lost in a world that has put our very Humanity in question.
Jason met his breaking point & I am sad for him & his family .. They are all in "My Prayers"
His hard work, dedication & unselfishness gave way to a place of confusion
& utter surrender, that which he is ultimately suffering for ....
... And ... May Jason find his way back soon... To those he loves and back to the compassionate plea from which this journey began.
I find this to be tragic & very sad. What you have done & still yet, have to do, will not go unrewarded Jason !
My prayers are with you ... God is With you …

Tooni

Small-minded people always have the narrowest opinions. With some education on the issue and simple rational thinking, it becomes more than clear that Russell was having a breakdown. And the “juicy” details couldn’t have included actual masturbating – that act takes a bit of concentration and stillness. His outward behavior was manic. And in his ranting frenzy to the world of critics, he grabbed himself exclaiming, “Suck my ****!”. And now “Masturbating!” is the headline across the news – the media is such a whore, and these narrow-minded people are its diseased patrons. Rotting in their little corners with their ignorance.
Jason Russell has done more for humanity than any of these pathetic, American couch-critics.

Keek

I think this whole ordeal is very strange. Everyone should pay attention at around the 27:06 mark of the video. Open your eyes folks.