Dustin Hoffman

I'm Holding a WAKE

for My Dead TV Show

3/16/2012 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

HBO Luck wake invitation
First step is denial ... then anger ... then comes the AFTER PARTY ... at least , that's how the big shots behind "Luck" are grieving the death of their show.

TMZ has learned "Luck" star Dustin Hoffman ... along with director Michael Mann and executive producer David Milch are throwing a "wake" at a fancy Hollywood restaurant tonight to thank the cast and crew for "all the beautiful work."

As we previously reported, HBO decided to cancel the show this week after a 3rd horse died on the set.

Rest in peace.

Marilyn

All those thousands of old movie Westerns must have had horses that died too back then?
Remember the Cavalry, the Indians, the bad guys riding around, the posse, the good guys, etc., etc.
Didn't horses probably die then too?

Liz

Is the cast and crew supposed to put on ashes and sackcloth? It's terrible that horses died, but they probably worked together a good bit of time and want to say good-bye to each other. I don't think it's terrible, even though the story is skewed that way.

matt

it's called a severance dinner, just keep it under 19.99 please!

Mikey

Trying to wake up a dead person never works expect maybe that one time with Jesus.

Mike44090

It would seem to me like they don't take the death of the horses seriously. Go ahead and make fun of it, I'm glad they canceled the show with an attitudes like theirs.

DerpFace

Attention Rain Man: Can't you hold a service for the three horses that died? I don't recall one official statement from the LUCK crew being sympathetic to the death of three innocent horses. Don't disrespect innocent, dead horses for the actions of HBO production executives.

KnuckleDragger

Careful folks, I hear the entree isn't really steak.

Jane

I never could get into Luck, so no great loss for me. I suspect rating numbers may have had some impact on their decision. If it was a matter of making sure no more animals were killed they could have fixed that by refusing to hire those that were responsible for the deaths and replacing them with someone more competent and humane. I would like to think HBO cancelled the show purely on the motivation that they wanted to make sure no more horses died on their watch, but I somehow think there was more to it than that since it was a problem that could probably be solved. In any event, I am glad it all came to light and the "accidents" stopped before more innocent animals died.

Franko

Tough Luck....

ohboy

Why doesn't he hold a wake for those poor horses that died for the sake of entertainment?

everyoneisoverit-moveon

How about the several hundred employees that lost their jobs? Maybe it's a way to bring the moral up a bit after an extremely unfortunate week - no disrespect intended to the families and friends of the deceased.

Swins

Let us be truthful, if the show was doing well in the ratings and making boatloads of money, a thousand horses could have died on set, HBO would have done nothing.
The fact was this was an EASY way for HBO to get out of its contracts, that is all!

gossipshmossip

Jeez, I wonder why TMZ is sooo bitter towards Luck?? Seems like they are almost taking this personally. Every show has a wrap party, why should this one be different, especially when the morale is so low for the over 200 people who lost jobs this week. Get off them, TMZ.

Jay W.

@Swins... ^^^ you hit the nail on the head !

campy

I think I should be invited as well, as I'm a creative consultant unsung hero. It's going to be at that Asian place on Hollywood Blvd. isn't it?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments