Irish You Were Irish

Hollywood Seeing Red

3/17/2012 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0316_celebrity_irish_ginger_launch2These celebrity photos were the first to be tested in our newly invented Irishomatic-2000, which turns a boring old celeb photo ... into a genuine red-headed freckled-faced star!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

mccocomc

WTF is this crap? I find this highly offensive and I'm neither Irish nor a redhead.

birdbath

TMZ jumps on anything that anyone says for being racist or ethnically insensitive and they put this stupid thing up? Lick my Irish balls TMZ.

Gloria Unread

Where were the Celebrities in blackface for Black History Month?
Seriously, this is the equivilant of blackface. You're turning a race of people into a cartoon caricature, in a way that would be completely unacceptable if it were any other race.
I'm also Irish, and I don't mind the Irish jokes. I love that most other Irish folks have a great sense of humor and aren't hyper-sensitive about being poked fun at. (In fact, we're usually the first ones to make those jokes!) Just look at the dancing leprechaun clip you use on the show all the time when you make fun of your Irish TMZ staffer. That's fine! But this.. this is just wrong.. and I am rarely offended at *anything*!

DAX_SEACREST

TMZ we hate white people

a4greymom

true irish coloring is dark hair, fair skin and blue eyes......red hair and fair skin is more scottish.

SeeBee

I am Irish-American and redheaded (auburn). I assure you this is not racist. First of all, Irish is not a race, it's a nationality or ethnicity.

Secondly, the red hair in Ireland came from the Vikings, so you'd be hating on the Scandinavians as well.

Thirdly, I don't believe the Irish are particularly sensitive about this (yes, I have been to Ireland). I don't believe they care if Americans make a little light of them. They may not like it if the English did it, though. (Check the history.)

So, lighten up!

Raejean

Let's see Harvey with red hair and freckles: Howdy Doody!

Tatsno

Hey Harvey,

This piece is comparable to putting a hook-nosed Jewish caricature up for ridicule on Passover....apologize.

Jen

This isn't "racist" because Irish is a nationality. People really need to lighten up. St. Patrick's day is a day to pretend being Irish, which most people think of red hair and freckles. Would people be complaining if on Cinco De Mayo they put pictures of celebrities wearing sombreros? That would be like getting mad of celebs wearing Santa hats, which by the way Santa has nothing to do with the true meaning of Christmas. Educate yourselves people.

Grndl

How come February didn't see celeb pics with afros and big lips?

LINNY

This is the most disturbing thing I've ever seen on your site.

Basil

what is next are you racist b*stards going to put them in black face.

Gerri

Red hair is fine. It's the orange pubic hair that is gross to me.

AyeSkye

JEW-ish you were jewish!

Angie

Yikes! I'm a redhead...I'm Irish...I LOVE a good Irish joke. That was funny for about a picture or three. Then I wondered,"Would TMZ have the balls to pull this for MLK day or Yom Kippur?" I won't ask the obvious about how you would photoshop the celebs for those holidays. I assume your legal department might BOTHER to stop you from going THAT far. Where were they when you thought this up???

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2