Jason Russell's Wife

He Does Not Have

a Substance Abuse Problem

3/17/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0317_jason_russell_getty_bn
The wife of Jason Russell, the documentarian who was detained Thursday for running through the streets of San Diego naked, claims he does not have a problem with drugs or alcohol.

Danica Russell issued a statement addressing the bizarre incident, saying, "Let us say up front that Jason has never had a substance abuse or drinking problem, and this episode wasn’t caused by either of those things. But yes, he did some irrational things brought on by extreme exhaustion and dehydration."

Russell was captured on video obtained by TMZ ... standing on a street corner and pounding his fists on the sidewalk.

Russell is being held on a 5150 psychiatric hold so authorities can decide if he poses a danger to himself or others.

steve

Who the hell is Jason Russell and why should anyone care?

Nick

Seriously I'm sick of this bulls**** exhaustion they really think we're this stupid if your stupid enough to believe this then you probably believe in him and his phony cause really folks get the facts first people in Uganda are outraged that we are holding up the kony character he hasnt been a threat in over 5 years and you can't unkidnap those kids they are never going to find them your money is paying for their new mereceds and houses look at their tax returns folks and wake up and do some reasearch sometimes

wonkers

I have suffered from severe dehydration before and I could not get out of bed because my body was shutting down. I also have suffered from exhaustion with the same result. So I don't know how the two (which had me so weak I had to have ambulance take me to hospital) could of made a man run in the streets. I couldn't even walk.

Vernon P. Alarcon

WTF...TMZ censorship won't let you say do****entary (do***entary)??? HOW LAME IS THAT?
this bozo wants to have 7 more children???

manbearpig

yeah- this is a load of crap. this guy was loaded out of his mind. i have been tired and dehydrated and never pulled a stunt like that.
the statement is b.s.

Denver

It wasnt drug abuse that made him strip on the street and play with his dangle. It was "exhaustion"! Congress should pass a bill to divert funds from their pockets to researching exhaustion. It seems to be coming up a lot lately when the real reason is too embarrassing or illegal to report.

pam

Extreme exhaustion and dehydration.... / being held on a 5150. Okay, we all reach a point upon where we are somewhat dehydrated and exhausted this behavior does not fall into a 5150, this man suffered a psychotic break from reality (why they seem to be sexual in nature is one for some Psych Doc) It really is that simple, it is not funny, it is sad.Doctors just can not seem to focus on the brain and make the Mentally Ill BETTER, or at least cope with the Disease . I feel bad for this man, but I do know that with money comes better Doctors and facilities and so my real heartfelt plea for help gors to those who have no money, who cannot afford the Health care provided to the rich, It pisses me off.

Analyzah

What will be next?

Extreme exhaustion and dehydration becoming legitimate grounds to legally defend obscenity? Robbery? Murder?

All I see is severely repressed gayness finally getting the better of this poor evangelical f@gg0t.

Lover+Hater=ME!

I saw someone act this way before - it was at a Grateful Dead concert. He was on LSD.

JuicyJ

Those side effects, ladies and gentleman, are from a drug called PCP

Joseph

***All I Got To Say Is Crack Is Whack*********
******Crack is whack***Crack is whack*****Crack is whack***
******Crack is whack***Crack is whack*****Crack is whack***

Does this woman acutally think we are idiot, I think she is just as delusional as her husband. I didn't know drugs could make you act so stupid, I wondered what he was thinking, when he was hitting his hands on the floor. Masturbating in middle of the street and you call that dehydration. Dehydration my ass, you husband was on crack!

Unless that mambo king kheno put a voodoo curse on him, by sending zombie spirits to make him act so crazy. I wouldn't put anything past that Khony dude, the Uganddan peopel call him the devil.

******Crack is whack***Crack is whack*****Crack is whack***
******Crack is whack***Crack is whack*****Crack is whack***
******Crack is whack***Crack is whack*****Crack is whack***
******Crack is whack***Crack is whack*****Crack is whack***

rainbow4321

Here is the rest of her quote from another site:
"We thought a few thousand people would see the film, but in less than a week, millions of people around the world saw it. While that attention was great for raising awareness about Joseph Kony, it also brought a lot of attention to Jason -- and, because of how personal the film is, many of the attacks against it were also very personal, and Jason took them very hard."
----------------
Sorry this all happened to him but no matter how hard his people/wife try to spin it, 1 + 1 still doesn't equal 3. Dehydration + exhaustion + hurt feelings STILL doesn't equal running naked/hitting the pavement/whatever else he was doing in the video. Guess we will find out when the hold is over with...unless it turns into a "he is going to take a long, long, long break now to be with his family" in which case it may mean the cause/organization wants to distance themselves from him.

jki

oh my gosh-why do people keep using the "exhaustion-dehydration" excuse-give me a freaking break. you're tired-go to bed. you're dehydrated-drink a glass of water. this guy is mentally unstable, on drugs, or both.

lucy

funny, when I'm dehydrated and exhausted I go lay down somewhere....

Faith in humanity

I understand this is the equivalent of a gossip rag, and I understand how it could be appealing. Here's an article that I fall in line with: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/sharing-public-breakdowns-what-we-can-learn-from-jason-russell/254659/

I encourage you to check it out.