Jason Russell's Wife

He Does Not Have

a Substance Abuse Problem

3/17/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0317_jason_russell_getty_bn
The wife of Jason Russell, the documentarian who was detained Thursday for running through the streets of San Diego naked, claims he does not have a problem with drugs or alcohol.

Danica Russell issued a statement addressing the bizarre incident, saying, "Let us say up front that Jason has never had a substance abuse or drinking problem, and this episode wasn’t caused by either of those things. But yes, he did some irrational things brought on by extreme exhaustion and dehydration."

Russell was captured on video obtained by TMZ ... standing on a street corner and pounding his fists on the sidewalk.

Russell is being held on a 5150 psychiatric hold so authorities can decide if he poses a danger to himself or others.

Faith in humanity

For an incredibly fair viewpoint.

jdr

What is PCP everybody keeps mentioning it.

Carl

Yeah, right!

Hobie

LOL, that's the excuse? Clearly he's bi-polar and needs to up his dosage.

When I'm exhausted and dehydrated and just sit down..with a glass of water.

zoolady

When I was a very young undergrad, for a while every class I took was on genocide, racism, slavery, and environmental destruction. I became depressed. I went to the doctor and was given Paxil. After dropping out of school and losing my health insurance, I was financially forced to quit Paxil cold turkey. I didn't sleep for three days, and wound up screaming at traffic. I was exhausted, though not dehydrated. My breakdown was very painful & humiliating. It took a year or two before I felt normal again. Ten years later and I'm productive, healthy, and will never take psych meds again. Trust me, I've been there, and Jason deserves your compassion not sneers. And he can still bounce back and be ok again. Judge him by his intentions to bring peace into the world not by his frailty.

Janet

Drugs, psychosis (which can come from an undiagnosed health problem), yes. Dehydration and exhaustion? Unlikely. Unless his drug or health problem caused him to stop sleeping and stop caring for himself. He could have bipolar disorder and this is a manic episode. I hope he gets the help he needs!

Fat Mike

I was also suffering from dehydration and exhaustion on Wednesday when I tried to bang my friend's girlfriend. At least that's what I'll now be telling him when he sees me next.

patty

Once while climbing the garden wall,
Slipped and fell had a very bad fall
I fell so hard I heard birds sing,
But I held on to My ding-a-ling
My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling won't you play with My Ding-A-Ling

bunny

I've never seen somebody exhausted and dehydrated do that before. He's probably bipolar.

bushwick bill

he's SUCH a homo, just come out already. lol OUT2012 lmao hahahaha

Mart

Incredible performance! Now, there is no newspaper in the whole world that does not have an article about this man and the organisation hi is ruling... Extreme, provably, but also very cheap. There is also to have such an imagination to consider that he is masturbating (after seen the video) and those homophobic people around, you just should have some sense of embarrassment!

CommanderKruge

That's his "wife" on that picture there? Hemmhemm...

coocoo

well then the situation in africa must be nuts if this is what happens from exhaustion and dehydration

Jen Furlotte

Sleep deprivation, extreme stress, depression and so on can absolutely prompt a psychotic break -- no drugs required.

onelove627

Totally looks Drug FREE. Exhaustion and dehydration does this to me EVERY TIME!