Oprah Winfrey

Bloodbath at OWN

3/19/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0319_own_network_exd
First Rosie ... now TMZ has learned roughly 30 people got the chop at the Oprah Winfrey Network today ... including 2 high level execs.

Sources connected to OWN tell us ... people from at least 3 departments were let go ... including the creative services dept., integrated marketing and promo scheduling.

We're told one of the casualties was the head of the Creative Services Department. Another was the Senior Vice President of Production.

One source tells us the group included people with years of experience in the industry as well as newcomers.

The timing is interesting ... considering O just cancelled Rosie O'Donnell's show. OWN has been struggling with low ratings since its launch.

One source tells us, "It's like a ghost town over there."

We're told, "They did the firings respectfully ... brought everyone into an office individually and explained the situation face to face."

Calls to OWN have not been returned.

Jim

You ever notice how far apart Okra's eyes are? She is like a hammer head shark.

Dayami

omg! some of these comments of people talking garbage about her are so ridiculous. Question for those people: What on earth HAVE YOU EVER DONE for yourself (like she did/does) that is amazing??

Susannah Thibodeaux

I LOVE Oprah..think she has interviewed some awesome peeps in all the years she was on TV..I watch her OWN channel whenever I have the opportunity!! Y'all cut her a break..
RE: The Whitney Houston interview........those being interviewed could have said NO..!!!! and didn't..
She brings people what they want to see and hear..
YOU GO GIRL..I love ya!!!! Susannah

Rosie

HAHAHAHAHA! That what she gets for canceling Rosie! Countdown to the end of OWN starts now!!

Jesse

Oprah OWNs a network, when did this happen?

k

She should have picked up the cancelled soap operas. Then she wouldn't be in this mess. TOLDJA OPRAH!

Steven R. Russell

"Bloodbath" at OWN? How ridiculous!

The only blood I need is the blood that Jesus shed for me. Way back on Calvary, the blood that gives me strength from day to day, it will never lose its power!

It reaches to the highest mountain. It flows through the deepest valley, the blood that gives me strength from day to day, it will never lose its power!

That's the only "bloodbath" I need.

WHAT"S UP WITH DAT?

I used to watch Oprah on Network TV, but have never once watched her or any shows she has on her own network. Oprah the woman is one thing, but when she self designates as an institution of programming, etc....I lost interest, and it seems so have many, many viewers.

Sincerity

With the Discovery Channel stepping in as hands on day-to-day managers to protect their investment, The OWN Network just may have a fighting chance. They allowed OWN to experiment but it just didn't work out as they hoped. Hopefully they'll "reinvigorate" the programming lineup so it will appeal to a broader audience. You can only push self-help, talk show formats so far. Making OWN more affordable for cable subscribers would certainly help.

Joan K

I watched Oprah in the beginning but after she became the richest woman and she would have rich black people on her show and they would talk about how rich they all were I got sick of her. I know she gives alot of money to charity but we all hear about every cent she gives away too.

James

Ego trip gone haywire. I liked Rosie. Ellen is boring as hell. Oprah just should have just kept churning out the old show. At least you could find what friggin channel it was on.

Me

On one hand I'm surprised the ratings are low...only because it's associated with Oprah. But on the other hand, I'm NOT surprised the ratings are low. First, it has nothing but shows that were already on other cable channels, repeats...not too many of its' own creative shows. And Two, it isn't even high def!!! I have HD but this is one channel that isn't in HD yet. PLUS, why in the world would she give Rosie O'Donnell yet another chance at a talk show that everybody else knew would flop?? I like Rosie, personally. But on TV??? No. She does NOT make a good talk show host at all.........

superbadnerves1

Oh my I knew rosie would not last she wants to be in charge to much but all the rest of the people uh oh well at least oprah still has her millions I will forever be a fan so ha ha

road_angel

Why is this news Happens every day in the Corporate world. Oprah isn't seeing any fruits to her labour . And those guys are highly paid to do a job and make O successful and its not happening. She needs to get someone else in there and see what they can do.

dredge

the acronym OWN and created using a type face that says money. So 1%, isn't it?