Oprah Winfrey

Bloodbath at OWN

3/19/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0319_own_network_exd
First Rosie ... now TMZ has learned roughly 30 people got the chop at the Oprah Winfrey Network today ... including 2 high level execs.

Sources connected to OWN tell us ... people from at least 3 departments were let go ... including the creative services dept., integrated marketing and promo scheduling.

We're told one of the casualties was the head of the Creative Services Department. Another was the Senior Vice President of Production.

One source tells us the group included people with years of experience in the industry as well as newcomers.

The timing is interesting ... considering O just cancelled Rosie O'Donnell's show. OWN has been struggling with low ratings since its launch.

One source tells us, "It's like a ghost town over there."

We're told, "They did the firings respectfully ... brought everyone into an office individually and explained the situation face to face."

Calls to OWN have not been returned.

Sarah

But... But I thought the whole world was watching Oprah???

Well not me anyways.

RaineeDrops

OWN, you been PWNED!

Pudding Tang

bloodbath???.... TMZEEgro please!

char

People watched an hour of Oprah on network TV,but as others here have said that's not enough to carry your own network and expect people to buy cable to watch her station. On network Tv Oprah was able to get the top stars on to interview and current topics in the news. I watched Gail a few times when she had a show on Oprah's station and I could hardly find her or her guests of interest, Gail tried to be Oprah and she is no Oprah. Watched Rosie once and she seemed too tame was expecting the old Rosie with all the controversy and mouth. Nothing on Oprah's station I would watch again. If I didn't already have cable I would be upset to pay for Oprah's station after having watched a few shows and would not watch again and definitely not pay cable to watch. Don't think firing all these people is going to fix the lack of viewers. The station is exactly what Oprah wanted it to be and nobody is watching.

KnuckleDragger

Oprah knew this would be a gamble. Her mistake; thinking people would PAY to watch her. I'm on Comcast. To get her show I'd have to go up a tier to Comcast Preferred...which would cost me another $10 a month for the first year. Sheesh...I'm a guy...Oprah wasn't a choice for me when she was FREE!

Lisa

OWN is only available here on the premium cable packages. Regular people can't afford that (at least the ones who actually stick to a budget). They need to make it available on the basic cable package...

soulofanangel

------------------------------------------------------------
When OPRAH WINFREY abandoned CHICAGO for CALIFORNIA...the writing was on the wall. If you want to "play" in CHICAGO but abandon the very element that made it successful...you have written the slow death of a franchise.
------------------------------------------------------------
The OPRAH WINFREY "GOLD standard" is melting. Viewers are tiring of DR. PHIL, DR. OZ (Michael Jackson-type skinny version of a "doctor"), NATE BERKUS is just decorating the equivalent of store window sets by his "interpretation" of viewers real rooms. OWN network's demise results when OPRAH'S gigantic ego meets reality (which she lost touch of 20 years ago).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Time for folk like OPRAH WINFREY, PAULA DEEN, REGIS PHILBIN, DAVID LETTERMAN, JAY LENO, MATT LAUER, KELLY RIPA etc. to sit on the "porch" and count the money which they received for many decades than they were worth.
------------------------------------------------------------

fonzie

Anytime I put on the OWN channel, there are depressing shows about murders, people in jail and criminals. Or out dated 1980's movies, or Dr. Phil reruns. Her Sunday night stuff is kinda interesting but then they replay everything a zillion times. She should run the old Game Show network stuff.

anony

How DARE you fail for Queen Oprah! She just doesn't realize that OWN is not network television anymore.
You knew all the Rosie people would get fired, but to kill some who have worked for her for years?....Bad karma.

TMZ_Admin

OWN'd.

Abe

I hope Oprah didn't point at them and say, "You get fired. And you get fired. And you get fired...."

RaineeDrops

Oprah got too full of herself when she bought her OWN network. I never once tuned into her network channel. Never had any desire to, the last couple years Oprah was on I got to sick of her New Age crap and promoting occult hooey, I stopped watching her years ago.

In my opinion she misguided A LOT of vulnerable people with her occult/new age hoohah.

God giveth, God taketh away.

KicksandGiggles

The public is Oprah'd out. Her time has come and gone - not a bad thing just reality.

She overestimated her following. She should devote her immense resources helping new production companies get off ground and mentoring new media talent since the current crop basically sucks from political favoritism and getting old.

stephenfromBelize

There's nothing respectful about firing someone, I guess Oprah wasn't even in the Building when all this went down...had other people do her dirty work

a

Oprah, if you or your people are reading this, I will tell you right now the reason your network is failing is because of the channel it is on. It took me forever to find it. You need to try to get a better channel in the main line of channels because yours is way out there in the middle of nowhere. At my house it's like channel 217 or something. We never look at the shows in the 200's, only the 700's. We live in San Diego, so if you have someone checking it out, I am telling you this is the reason.