Oprah Winfrey

Bloodbath at OWN

3/19/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0319_own_network_exd
First Rosie ... now TMZ has learned roughly 30 people got the chop at the Oprah Winfrey Network today ... including 2 high level execs.

Sources connected to OWN tell us ... people from at least 3 departments were let go ... including the creative services dept., integrated marketing and promo scheduling.

We're told one of the casualties was the head of the Creative Services Department. Another was the Senior Vice President of Production.

One source tells us the group included people with years of experience in the industry as well as newcomers.

The timing is interesting ... considering O just cancelled Rosie O'Donnell's show. OWN has been struggling with low ratings since its launch.

One source tells us, "It's like a ghost town over there."

We're told, "They did the firings respectfully ... brought everyone into an office individually and explained the situation face to face."

Calls to OWN have not been returned.

Sharon

It's time for her to throw in the towel on the whole channel.

janet

Winfrey has more money than she knows what to do with. Couldn't care less if her OWN network worked or not. At the very worst it's a tax right off.

Sandy

I feel bad for Oprah I think she did not go in with a clear vision. Also I think it hurt that the network was not on basic cable or in all areas. How can you get ratings when not everyone can get your network or afford it.

yellowputty

Mistake #1 was naming it OWN.
What a poor choice in a network name.
I have a few suggestions but you will pay me for my time, you can reach me at yellowputty@hotmail.com

Ace

Reality TV is the only thing that will save your network.

Catfish Cooper WIRX

Have yet to find a home that has access to this network, must have premium package to watch = FAIL

islgalbbi

OWN will have a hard time making it. The only good show on OWN is Oprah's Next Chapter in which she does good detailed celebrtity interviews. I would enjoy her doing specials in this format on network tv. That would draw big ratings, gives us what we liked about Oprah, and this would save Oprah some headaches and a boatload of money.

vern dufford

Oprah should walk away and forget OWN network because the media has become so schizophrenic! If I were her, had her money I would get the hell out enjoy life. It was far better programing anyhow when their were only 3 networks.

Harvey take a hint I enjoy TMZ now, but their is a limit...and your about there!

DISLIKE...you made my day!

Scotty

It's over for Oprah. She had a fantastic staff who ran her show beautifully! She never had any style, sense, or taste of her own. She paid, via staff for good taste. And she crossed over into the psycho zone of narcissism, and started to believe she was an African Queen from the deep South of the United States!

Gretel

Oh jeez Oprah did you really think a cable channel would be all that? Umm no. Thank you for Dr Oz and Dr Phil, both of whom are stomach turners, and your friend Gayle is totally messing up CBS morning. I guess you aren't quite as wonderful as you thought you were.

6one9

In these times ``````` WHY ```````` would O even think about having her `own` tv channel?
Bitch has enough $$$$$$$$$$$
Retire and have a wonderful life ``IS `` more like it!
Oprah is pushing 60
STOP working and enjoy `` the world

linda larsob

No one answered the phones ? Who was going to answer ? duh ALL GONE

your own luck

Peter's Principle at work. Oprah has risen to the level of her incompetency. Owning and running a network is just too far over her head.

kathye

I think I remember Oprah saying early on, that Stedman suggested that her next step was a network of her own!

Bodie

Oprah, the main problem with your network is it's not in HIGH DEFINITION can you say BLURRY!!!! UNWATCHABLE!!!!!