Oprah Winfrey

Bloodbath at OWN

3/19/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0319_own_network_exd
First Rosie ... now TMZ has learned roughly 30 people got the chop at the Oprah Winfrey Network today ... including 2 high level execs.

Sources connected to OWN tell us ... people from at least 3 departments were let go ... including the creative services dept., integrated marketing and promo scheduling.

We're told one of the casualties was the head of the Creative Services Department. Another was the Senior Vice President of Production.

One source tells us the group included people with years of experience in the industry as well as newcomers.

The timing is interesting ... considering O just cancelled Rosie O'Donnell's show. OWN has been struggling with low ratings since its launch.

One source tells us, "It's like a ghost town over there."

We're told, "They did the firings respectfully ... brought everyone into an office individually and explained the situation face to face."

Calls to OWN have not been returned.

Linda

Good...Maybe she will just go away.

Tami Saunders

It really seems like the new programs are good. Love Masterclass and Oprah's interviews. The Rosie show was interesting, but too many breaks.. couldn't keep track of it. Please quit running all the reruns! Dr. Phil, etc.. other than that, I am loyal.

kar

I never have thought her station OWN would make it. It is hard to find and I think most people watch the main channels.

Gretel

Too bad. Too fricking bad. I try to be nice but not this time. Did you ever see her magazine in the grocery store check out line? Her face is on it EVERY STINKING MONTH. Whatever ... Oprah? Good luck hon. OWN sucks donkey.

Carl

OWN itself will likely fold in the next 1-2 years. Even before the launch people in the TV industry where highly skeptical of how well the channel was going to do.

LIN

Here's a clue for Oprah...stay out of politics!

I am Spartacus

couldn't even tell you what channel OWN is. Oprah's show may have been a goldmine but that doesn't mean everything she does will be. This network has been a complete failure.

luckycat

I hope Oprah fails and is penny less.
Opera has done nothing.
Lets see just how bad she is w/o the white help.
A fraud,liar,and no-talent hack.
She steamrollered herself to here.
The fall will be delightful.
I don't want to hear about all the SELF SERVING "good" she's done.
Single handed she degraded society a hell of a lot.

David

This is good news for me. It's about time for Oprah to stop being so self centered and money hungry and just retire. I am also glad that they canned Rosie. This lady has some serious issues.

jona

30 people? That's 60 now including Rosie. But seriously? WHO CARES? Layoff are going on everywhere. . and much more than 30 people.. are they more important because they worked for Doprah?

Kim

I used to like to watch Oprah when she first came on...then she had her favorite things then she got to where she thought she was God, now she can ...me inmy best signing voice hit the road Jack and dont cha come back no more no more no more no more hit the road jack and don't cha come back no more...

janet

Still wondering why Winfrey never puts a dime back in the United States of America. The same United States of America who made her the money she has. How come?

Mikey

No one watches that channel cause its not in HD.

nof

The_World forgets about you once you move to cable/satellite.

Look what happened to Howard Stern - greatest of them all.

Majestik

Hey, O.W.N. I've got a concept for you, instead of firing your long time staff, or people who REALLY are in the know in the business how about calling up the Cable companies and telling them you want to be on mainstream cable. When this station was first launched I watched a few shows because it was "FREE" with my regular cable. Then all of a sudden I have to pay extra to get this station? Really, Oprah, a Bazillion dollars isn't enough for you, you need more? Make the station part of the reg. cable, I'd bet those ratings would go up especially when regular cable is sucking hind wind and you could possibly get something with them worth watching.
One other thing I didn't like, going after women whose husband's did them wrong (Maria Shriver) seriously, I want to see entertainment not tune into someone because they are all over the news for being publicly humilated (kudos to Maria for turning it down).