Ninja Turtles Creator

Michael Bay's a Freakin' Genius

3/22/2012 7:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0322-peter-laird-michael-bay-BNThe mastermind who CREATED the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in 1984 isn't offended Michael Bay is rewriting TMNT history -- in fact, he LOVES the director's new vision ... and he wants turtle fans everywhere to back the hell off.

You'll recall ... Bay pissed off a lot of people when he revealed his remake of TMNT would see the loveable turtles as aliens ... not mutants -- outraging super fans across the globe, including Robbie Rist ... the guy who voiced Michelangelo in the 90s movies.

But TMNT creator Peter Laird -- who sold his rights to the story years ago -- is coming to Bay's defense via his blog, telling TMNT lovers, “It could be a genius idea -- for the first time -- someone has come up with a way to have as many freakin' Turtles as they want.”

Laird adds, "I would actually encourage TMNT fans to swallow the 'chill pill' Mr. Bay recently suggested they take."

Turtle power.

PJM

You guys really don't get sarcasm, do you? Because if you read the comments, you'd see that's what this was.

Dan

He was being sarcastic, this is what he posted on his blog.
"Did you really get out of what I wrote that I in any way, shape or form LIKE the idea of a planet of Turtles? If so, I guess I have to re-think how I express myself.

Just so it's absolutely clear -- I think a planet of turtles is not, in and of itself, a bad idea for some kind of science fiction/fantasy story. But as a way to explain any aspect of the backstory of TMNT, I think it is awful and unnecessary.

Of course, we have no idea at this point if the plan is to have a planet of Turtles. It's probably a good idea to wait and see. -- PL"

Cope

"A few people — who don’t seem to understand that I am no longer in control of the property — want me to stop this, somehow,” Laird wrote on his blog late Wednesday. Obviously, I can’t do that, even if I wanted to. But I would actually encourage TMNT fans to swallow the 'chill pill; Mr. Bay recently suggested they take, and wait and see what might come out of this seemingly ill-conceived plan. It’s possible that with enough truly creative brainpower applied to this idea, it might actually work. I’m not saying it’s probable, or even somewhat likely… but it IS possible.” This is what Peter Laird said. He did not agree with Bay like TMZ makes it seem. And what is Bay going to call this he can't use Mutant in the title and really can't use ninja bc I doubt there is a planet full of ninja and call themselves ninjas like we do.

Cday138

Of corse hes fine with it. Michael bay is going to make him millions. I would be fine with it too lol

Rachel

Learn to read TMZ. That was sarcasm.
Also, if you're really that UNSURE-- he clarifies in the comments of his blog post which you didn't even link for reference, for those of you who are reading comprehension challenged.

"http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/few-musings-on-turtles-as-aliens.html

As quoted in the comments:

"I think you need to carefully re-read my post before you jump to the conclusion that I am "pro for it". "

and in response to someone linking to articles like this one.

"That's pretty funny...

... in a really sad, stupid way. -- PL"

Rachel

It may just be a dumb show about turtles but this is our childhood they're ****ing with, and the public aren't as stupid and passive as they think we are. If they don't change the idea of them being aliens, no one above the age of 10 will willingly see it. Bet.

Wood

I like how he rolls. Good attitude.

louiscj

---Never!---

shezcrafti

Laird's snark was obviously lost on TMZ. If you read the rest of his blog post, it's clear his comments are a backhanded compliment about Bay's direction for TMNT. Also, this is old news.

Celebritiesthesedays