'Kony 2012' Exec

Joked About Keeping

$900k Donation for Himself

3/27/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jedidiah Jenkins
One of the heads of Jason Russell's Invisible Children organization made a video after the charity won a $1 million grant ... in which he appears to be drunk and joking about keeping $900,000 for himself.

TMZ has obtained the clip ... featuring Jedidiah Jenkins, the Director of Ideology for the charity dedicated to hunting down African warlord Joseph Kony.

The footage appears to be shot in 2010 ... right after Invisible Children won the $1 million grand prize in the Chase Community Giving Facebook competition.

In the video, Jenkins is holding a handle of Smirnoff vodka ... and slurs to the camera, "I don't know if you heard this or not ... but we won a ... we won a million dollars so ... pretty rad."

After chugging from the bottle, Jenkins continues ... "a hundred thousand for Haiti and $900,000 in extra for me."

As for the Haiti reference ... the contest was held one week after the earthquake in Haiti and Invisible Children had promised to give $100k to Haitian relief efforts if they won the prize. We have no idea how the remaining $900,000 was spent.

A source connected to Invisible Children says the video is a joke that Jedidiah recorded and posted on a private YouTube page right after the group won the prize. We're told the bottle was filled with water, not vodka.

Invisible Children's rep has not responded to our calls for an official comment.

update_bar
10:00 AM PDT -- Jenkins has finally commented on the video ... saying, "I was joking. It was made for my co-worker who was out of town when we won the prize."

Jenkins also says the Smifnoff bottle is filled with water ... not vodka ... explaining, "Who can drink that much Vodka? Definitely not me. I’d die. It’s clearly water. I’m not gonna apologize for being a human that jokes with his friends."

Terri

I believe it's water. If it was really vodka, he would, at least, cringe when he swallowed it. I do agree that it was in poor taste, but whoever leaked it should be ashamed. I'm sure it was all done in fun and should have remained private.

Paul

ok, I committed to donate to this cause monthly... now I am having second thoughts...

ash kay

filled with water eh? riiiiiiiight ...pfffft

JoJo

Good work! Keep the heat on these shady cult christians! They need to be investigated by the feds - but until then keep shining light on everything they try and hide! How about finding out what all the secret gay stuff is about? How many conversion therapy graduates? Why aligned with all the gay-bashers? IC is creepy as can be....

don

They say when you are drunk you speak the truth.

Grayson

I donated $25 to this fake charity after seeing them on Oprah. I should have given it to the homeless guy down the street instead.

Lighten Up

Oh please. He's clearly kidding. If I had raised a million bucks for Haiti, I'd probably make a silly joke about running off with it too. The organization might be questionable, but this is just a guy having fun with his moment.

Ernest De Brew

In that case, he is a selfish a-hole but I don't really mean it.

coburn

Isn't it true that non-profits are only required to distribute 10% of all donations while the rest can go for their overhead??? i think the joke also highlights this fact, especially considering all the donations people make to all the other non-profit organizations with no REAL proof or assurance that the total donation went to a specific cause???

my 2¢

coburn

my 2¢

coburn

my 2¢

coburn

sorry for the multiple post.. first time to TMZ.com OOOPS!

denynotbuthis

That looks like vodka because the liquid is not clear. They are con artists that appeal on the sympathy of others. shame on you....charity welfare ...you just committed fraud.

Windlife

This probably is a joke, but who in the world would joke about such a thing. This organization has been criticized for years and always seems to have a pitiful excuse. Their campaign was full of false and outdated information and they have repeatedly joked about serious issues. Pathetic. This organization needs a media special like 20/20 to show their unethical behavior.

maria

If you want to be charitable, donate to your local church, if so desire.