Model Lauren Scruggs

REJECTS $200k Settlement

in Airplane Propeller Accident

3/27/2012 6:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball
Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball when she was struck by an airplane propeller last year -- claims she shot down a $200k settlement offer from the plane's insurance company ... and now she's suing for much, much more.

Scruggs filed legal docs in Dallas, Texas ... claiming the insurance company "verbally offered" to pay her $200k for the Dec. 3, 2011 accident ... and they explained it's the MOST the insurance company can pay out to a "passenger."

But Scruggs is calling BS ... claiming she shouldn't be considered a "passenger" because "she was not in the aircraft or getting in or out of it at the time of the incident."

The 23-year-old model argues she had "completed her exit from the aircraft prior to the time of the incident and was physically located on the tarmac when the incident happened. Until struck by the propeller, she was not in physical contact with the aircraft after her exit."

Scruggs is asking for unspecified damages ... but we're guessing she wants WAY more than $200k.

lookItsMegRyan

Waaaah I walked into a propeller.

skip

200,000. for being a dumbass take the money and run

justme1123

"Lauren's parents Cheryl and Jeff Scruggs said that they believe the 23-year-old walked back toward Richmond's plane at the private airport north of Dallas to say a final thank you, perhaps as he was preparing to take off again."

starcravingmad

Whoa! I feel for the chick and all, but SHE walked INTO the propeller. Maybe she could sue herself?!?! She should be grateful the insurance company is willing to pay her that much for being careless. Next she'll walk out onto the freeway and get hit by a car. Then she'll sue the driver for driving the car, the automaker for building the car, and the state for building the road!

justme1123

At the end of this video her parents say, "it's no one's fault."

Just to add to this, I don't think we can say someone who is not around planes wouldn't know what to do. This pilot was a family friend AND through all of the videos and news stories I have been watching online from different websites, there are multiple pictures of her (wearing different clothes) in the ****pit of planes. She was around planes and should have known better.

TE

So if I jump in front of a car on a busy interstate does that mean I can sue too? It's a shame that it happened to her but it was no one's fault but her own. No one wants to take responsibility for themselves anymore. It is so much easier to let someone else do it or blame them.

Carl

Wasn't it her own stupidity that caused the accident? If you are on a tarmac, watch out for propellers. Pretty basic.

en Todo Momento!!

a 'passenger' does still need to make use of landing and take-off platforms, areas and or spaces, so chances are you ARE a passenger if and when an accident happens on a landing and or take-off platform. i'm just sayin....

Paula

WTF?? An idiot walks into an airplane propeller and then expects to be paid for it!!! How stupid do you have to be to walk into a moving propeller??

justme1123

If you read the article again, she doesn't want to be considered a 'passenger' because "she was not in the aircraft or getting in or out of it at the time of the incident."

At the point of you stating that you considered your passenger status over, aren't you then, as the person on an airfield of ANY kind responsible for your own actions. This would then make her responsible for what happened to her, not the pilot, not the plane, not the airport, not the insurance company.

I cannot sue your insurance company if you hit me in the street if I am the one that jumped in front of your car.

Larry

I think it is awful what has happened to this poor girl, and I am glad to hear that she is making quite the extraordinary recovery. That being said, I have thought this over in my mind so many times....and I simply can't figure out how you can walk into a propeller. I have flown in similar airplanes and I have always been aware of the propeller and respectful of its power to obliterate me.

Dover

With any luck they will go to court and she will be awarded damages of $200, then counter sued for damage to the prop, pain and suffering of the pilot and punitive damages for the reputation of the airline. The trial will be called: The people vs it sucks to be blond.

Mangymutt

If I read the article correctly when this case first happened then the pilot warned her not to go near the props. She exited the plane, but decided to thank the pilot so she walked toward the front of the plane and didn't realize the props were still going. I'm sorry, but what part of the loud noise and the wind blowing from the props still rotating did she not see/hear/feel??? I've been on small planes where the props are close to the exit and just the vibrations given off by the prop spinning is scary enough to not make me go anywhere near them! Sure let's sue the plane company because she shouldn't be held accountable for her own actions. That's like those people who fall over niagara falls every year because they stand too close to the edge!!! sorry don't feel for her.

tmom1990

How stupid do you have to be to walk into a airplane prop and then sue the owner for your stupidity?

Brian Glubok

I'd still bang the brainless blonde bimbo.